Author Topic: Uploading iptc codes  (Read 7260 times)

Offline bkirsch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Uploading iptc codes
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:10:56 PM »
I have downloaded iptc code sets and need to upload them into PM. Can't seem to find a way to do this. Help anyone?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Uploading iptc codes
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 04:05:52 AM »
What do you mean with IPTC code sets? Do you mean keywords perhaps? Those you can import and export from the keywords panel.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline bkirsch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 06:14:33 PM »
I'm talking about the information sets that populate the "genre, scene, subject code, category, supp. category", etc.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:30:50 AM »
Ah, those  :)

Well if the sets are in the right format (i.e., text files with each entry on a separate line), then importing them is done the same way for each.

In the IPTC dialogue (does not matter if it is the stationary dialogue or not), simply:
  • click the down arrow button next to the field for which you want to import the set,
  • choose edit xxxx,
  • in the resulting window, click the import button and browse to the text file containing the set.

Note: the text files most likely have to be in UTF-8 encoding for PM to recognise special characters like accents and other things.

Hope this helps
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline frog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 08:45:35 AM »

Well if the sets are in the right format (i.e., text files with each entry on a separate line), then importing them is done the same way for each.

In the IPTC dialogue (does not matter if it is the stationary dialogue or not), simply:
  • click the down arrow button next to the field for which you want to import the set,
  • choose edit xxxx,
  • in the resulting window, click the import button and browse to the text file containing the set.

Note: the text files most likely have to be in UTF-8 encoding for PM to recognise special characters like accents and other things.

Hope this helps

Can you do something opposite?
I'm considering disabling edit of some IPTC fields and choosing values from pre-populated drop down lists.
Do you think I could do this by writing some script/extension?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 08:51:46 AM »

• choose edit xxxx,

Hope this helps

Can you do something opposite?
I'm considering disabling edit of some IPTC fields and choosing values from pre-populated drop down lists.
Do you think I could do this by writing some script/extension?

There is no scripting of the IPTC dialogs.  There is no way to deny editing of an IPTC field and only allowing the choice of the popup menus to the right of the text fields.

-Kirk