Author Topic: Email Problems  (Read 22344 times)

Offline MrMyckster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Email Problems
« on: June 25, 2009, 04:49:38 PM »
This is not the first time that I have requested help sending photos via email. Often times the client gets a windat file.
I am on Vista now. The problem started when I was on XP.
I am using Outlook 2007.
The version of Photomechanic is the new 4.6.1.

I kept hoping that with each new version you figured out the problem. I can not find a pattern to why it fails. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. When I question the person I sent it to I get a reply like "got a handful of emails that had no attachments". They are not interested in figuring out what my problem is.

I would ask any member that wants to help me out send a few photographs using the different settings to someone and see if I am the only one with this problem or if it is real.

I just missed another deadline using this tool and i can't afford to do that much.

I really like the feature when it works.

Thank You.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: Email Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 10:33:24 PM »
When I question the person I sent it to I get a reply like "got a handful of emails that had no attachments". They are not interested in figuring out what my problem is.

In the send photo via e-mail dialog there is a checkmark option allowing to Review email in email application before sending. As PM doesn't have a mailing function it uses your mailing application and its settings to send the images in email even if you don't see it happening this way.

Do you have it checked? If not, I suggest checking it, this way PM will load all your selected photos to your mailing application and you can review your emails before sending them. If you see the image in the letter and it still doesn't get to the client then the problem shall be somewhere in your mailing software or his (or maybe in a firewall or mailing server). If the image doesn't make it into the email then you can know for sure the problem is with PM itself.

On the other hand I often have problems with emails containing images larger than 5 MB. They simply vanish in the mailing system, the recipients never receiveing them. And - even at newspapers - mail servers are often limited to a given size not to allow larger attachments pass through.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline MrMyckster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:26:58 PM »
Ok Thank you I will try that immediatily.

However I know that I have lost emails because they are over the size limit. Sometimes you get a bounce back and sometimes you do not.

The last batch I sent, I had them downsized to 1024 x 1024 for websize use.

M.

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 04:29:35 AM »
This is not the first time that I have requested help sending photos via email. Often times the client gets a windat file.
I am on Vista now. The problem started when I was on XP.
I am using Outlook 2007.
The version of Photomechanic is the new 4.6.1.

I kept hoping that with each new version you figured out the problem. I can not find a pattern to why it fails. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. When I question the person I sent it to I get a reply like "got a handful of emails that had no attachments". They are not interested in figuring out what my problem is.

I would ask any member that wants to help me out send a few photographs using the different settings to someone and see if I am the only one with this problem or if it is real.

I just missed another deadline using this tool and i can't afford to do that much.

I really like the feature when it works.

Thank You.

I believe this file is created by Outlook.

Whenever you send an email using RTF (Rich Text Format), the file you describe will be created.

See the following URL: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010347811033.aspx

BTW - You want to disable RTF in Outlook.

HTH,
Jerry

Offline MrMyckster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 04:42:00 AM »
Under Outlook - Mail Format Settings - it is set to HTML.

Under Internet Format - Outlook Rich Text Options it is set to Convert to HTML format.

I investigated that a while back. Still getting hit or miss on who can and cannot receive my photographs.

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 04:57:16 AM »

Under Internet Format - Outlook Rich Text Options it is set to Convert to HTML format.

What other options are there under Internet Format?

--Jerry

Offline MrMyckster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 05:03:32 AM »
Convert to plain text format
Send using Outlook rich text format

Then there is an option to "Encode attachements in UUENCODE fromat when sending a plain text message.

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 05:26:06 AM »
Convert to plain text format
Send using Outlook rich text format

Then there is an option to "Encode attachements in UUENCODE fromat when sending a plain text message.

I recommend that you set this to Plain Text.

Contact me privately if you wish to test this setting.

--Jerry
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 05:34:32 AM by Jerry Hebert »

Offline MrMyckster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 10:23:40 AM »
One customer was able to fix things on their end by using this:

http://www.joshjacob.com/macdev/tnef/

I don't understand what they are talking about but you might.

M.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 11:04:50 AM »
Using Plain Text e-mails saves you a lot of headache...
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline MrMyckster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 07:48:03 AM »
I am still having trouble with this issue.

I now have a friend that has a Mac that I can send the files to and tested it. He cannot open the files.

I had him forward the emails to you guys for examination.

Can you tell me what to do?

Thanking you in advance.

Myck

Offline MrMyckster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 03:14:07 AM »
Alright,
I need help from the people that are on the board not just Photo Mechanic people.

I have exhausted all my efforts and I am back to ground zero.

So I am asking this. Does anyone else have a problem sending files using email from a PC to a user that has a MAC?

I am still having issues.

I am running Vista Home Premium with all service packs, McAffee virus protection, Outlook 2007 sp2 as my default email client. I am using Google for the email provider because it allows files as large as 25mb. I can't think of anything else to list here.

When a MAC user gets the email it is "Like the file is embedded" in the email and not attached. One person says that when they try to open the email it tries to open other software on his machine. I think it is the Canon supplied photo editor.

Myck.

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 04:55:20 AM »
Now that I see this post, I have had a similar problem a few times but in reverse, when sending from my Mac to a PC user I always get a call back stating that there is no attachment. I have had no problems when sending to Mac to Mac.
Romeo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 06:32:50 AM »
Myck,

Alright,
I need help from the people that are on the board not just Photo Mechanic people.

I have exhausted all my efforts and I am back to ground zero.

So I am asking this. Does anyone else have a problem sending files using email from a PC to a user that has a MAC?

I am still having issues.

I am running Vista Home Premium with all service packs, McAffee virus protection, Outlook 2007 sp2 as my default email client. I am using Google for the email provider because it allows files as large as 25mb. I can't think of anything else to list here.

When a MAC user gets the email it is "Like the file is embedded" in the email and not attached. One person says that when they try to open the email it tries to open other software on his machine. I think it is the Canon supplied photo editor.

Why don't you send me a sample email?  I'll receive it on a Mac and let you know what I get.  Contact me privately and I'll give you an email address you can send your sample to.

-Kirk

Offline miguelr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 06:56:48 AM »
You are sending files to big.

No matter what or wich mail server you use,  mails won't arrived, do of the limit of data allocated to the recipient account.

Tray to send 3 or 4 pictures at the time on severals emails(total around 1Mb each).

If the recipient account has a limit to low, lets say  2Mb, the second or third email, never will get there, unless the client empty the inbox.

Ask the client to open a gmail account or look on the possibility of FTP.

Set PM to Review email application before sending (you can see, the total data you are sending)

Set Outlook to plain text

Hope this help