Author Topic: Email Problems  (Read 22345 times)

Offline MrMyckster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Email Problems
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 07:55:51 AM »
OK, good points.

The files that I send are sometimes as large as 10 MB but that is what the customer is used to getting. They are a publication that uses photographs for printing. I wish they had an ftp server but they do not.

The files are always sent as single files and never as a group.

Everything is set to non html.

Myck

Offline Ed Zirkle

• Newcomer
  • never grow up...
    • View Profile
    • Slightly sane photographer
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 07:38:11 AM »
Myck...

Use the plain text setting...  if you want a mixed set of sending options, goto the client contact page, double click on the clients email address, you should get a email property box for just that client, there is a pull down for the internet format, select plain text only...

If this does not solve the probem here are 2 other options...

WMDecode  http://www.biblet.freeserve.co.uk/
Program using a simple drag and drop procedure to view winmail.dat contents

TNEF's Enough  http://www.joshjacob.com/mac-development/tnef.php
Macintosh program to decode winmail.dat TNEF attachments

The last suggestion is you already have MS products running...  Windows Live has as part of it's package, Skydrive... 25 gigs of posting space and up to 50 megs per file...
you can post images there for your client to see and download...  and best of all, it's free!!!  www.live.com  another program in the package is Window Live Gallery...  free photo database tool and you can upload directly to skydrive from there...

HTH...

Ed
Feed the Shark...

Offline MrMyckster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 12:09:38 PM »
Ok.
I have found the problem.
Unless you select the check box to review each photograph before sending it will send a winmail dat file.
It is predictable and repeatable. Try it. Send it from a PC using Outlook to a person with a MAC computer.
I followed all the instructions to set things to plain text and everything else. It still does it.
I had to buy a MAC to troubleshoot this problem.
I am not a happy camper. It cost me a customer.
I want to thank everyone for their ideas but it was unacceptable for me to ask a customer to go through all the trouble of installing all the other programs that people suggested.
Myck

Offline MrMyckster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 01:20:59 PM »
Oh, One more question.
I have crashed the program a few times and elected to send the error report.
I creates the report but each time I send it the report comes back undeliverable.
Please check the status of your email account to see if there is room.
Myck

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 02:49:43 PM »
Myck,

I have found the problem.
Unless you select the check box to review each photograph before sending it will send a winmail dat file.
It is predictable and repeatable. Try it. Send it from a PC using Outlook to a person with a MAC computer.
I followed all the instructions to set things to plain text and everything else. It still does it.
I had to buy a MAC to troubleshoot this problem.
I am not a happy camper. It cost me a customer.
I want to thank everyone for their ideas but it was unacceptable for me to ask a customer to go through all the trouble of installing all the other programs that people suggested.

I'm sorry you lost a customer and experienced so many difficulties.  Outlook is sending the message and is responsible for the creation of the winmail.dat file.  Photo Mechanic doesn't really do anything different when you don't ask it to force the email client application (in this case Outlook) to display the email message before sending other than it doesn't ask the MAPI system to force the UI to appear.  The way it calls MAPI to attach the images, setup the To:, Cc:, BCc:, subject and body is exactly the same whether it forces the UI to appear or not.

If you search with Google for "winmail.dat mac" you'll see over 80,000 results.  Very few will have anything to do with Photo Mechanic.  It is a common problem with Outlook sending emails to various recipients.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 02:50:48 PM »
Myck,

Oh, One more question.
I have crashed the program a few times and elected to send the error report.
I creates the report but each time I send it the report comes back undeliverable.
Please check the status of your email account to see if there is room.

Why that is happening to you is not known to me.  We just sent a message to that email address and it was delivered just fine, moments later.

-Kirk

Offline MrMyckster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 03:29:43 PM »
Judging by the size of the file it looks to me like it tries to incorporate all 3 files into a single file.
I know about the problem of the windat issue on the net.
It took me a month or longer to figure this out.
It was just a lucky thing that I figured out that each email must be shown box to display the email was the problem.
Looks to me like you don't care about this and not even going to look at a work around?
Myck

sidewinder

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 04:00:59 PM »
Looks to me like you don't care about this and not even going to look at a work around?

Wow, MrMyckster, I think you stepped over the line on that one. You can't get better support than what Kirk offers here.

The problem is with Microsoft Outlook, not Photo Mechanic. Use a different mail client and solve your problems completely. Don't be rude to a great Engineer that provides great support!

Scott

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »
Myck,

Judging by the size of the file it looks to me like it tries to incorporate all 3 files into a single file.
I know about the problem of the windat issue on the net.
It took me a month or longer to figure this out.
It was just a lucky thing that I figured out that each email must be shown box to display the email was the problem.

It's obvious you're upset.  I do care and I did look at the code that I wrote so many years ago.  In fact I looked at it about an hour ago.  There is literally no difference in what Photo Mechanic does to create an email that shows the UI versus what it does to create an email that doesn't show the UI.  It is just a flag and a window pointer that is passed into the Microsoft-provided MAPI (Messaging API) to tell the current MAPI client to show a 'dialog' or not.  PM doesn't even have the words 'winmail.dat' anywhere in its code or data.  PM doesn't combine multiple attachments into a single data file.  It calls the API once for each file that is attached.  Outlook is doing this completely on its own.  There is no workaround if you don't want to see the Outlook UI each time a message is sent.  The only workaround is to review each email when it is sent which you discovered on your own.

From the point that PM calls MAPI and tells it to send the message, PM is no longer involved in the process.  The rest (MIME encoding the email and sending it) is up to your selected MAPI client application.

If I were the author of Outlook and Outlook Express, I would fix it.

I don't know what else I can say or do to help.

-Kirk

Offline MrMyckster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
I never got personal with him or judgemental. "I" am very frustrated.

I thought perhaps by sharing what I had learned and shared it with the board that I could actually help someone else who just may find themselves in the same situation that I am in.

It took me a long time to come up with the solution. Go back and look at my posts.

Offline MrMyckster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 04:19:18 PM »
I can live with viewing each photo as I send it.
I can understand that your frustrated as well.
Like I said just a post ago, I posted it so others that may have the same problem may find this helpful.
However I was hoping there was a way to fix it.
You looked, there isn't, case closed.
Thank You.