Author Topic: Move Tags from one directory to another?  (Read 4232 times)

Offline AlanR

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Move Tags from one directory to another?
« on: June 27, 2009, 02:08:29 AM »
PM 4.6. Mac OS X 10.5.7

During a slideshow I use low res jpegs. The hi-res are stored elsewhere. They have identical names.

I need to be able to tag the picks during the slideshow of the low res files and then 'save' those tags to apply/import to the directory of the full-res files later. These high res are then worked on and used to create an album.

It's something I've always done with another application (PC based). I hope it's something I can do with PM too? 

Can you guide me please?

Thank you.

AlanR

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Move Tags from one directory to another?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 07:43:46 AM »
AlanR,

PM 4.6. Mac OS X 10.5.7

During a slideshow I use low res jpegs. The hi-res are stored elsewhere. They have identical names.

I need to be able to tag the picks during the slideshow of the low res files and then 'save' those tags to apply/import to the directory of the full-res files later. These high res are then worked on and used to create an album.

It's something I've always done with another application (PC based). I hope it's something I can do with PM too?

There is no way to do that with Photo Mechanic.  Can I ask why you bother to generate low resolution JPEGs before running the slideshow?  It is unnecessary.

But since you're using Photo Mechanic 4.6.0, please update to version 4.6.1 as it fixes a lot of issues present in the initial 4.6.0 release.

-Kirk

Offline AlanR

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 02:56:03 AM »
Thank you for your reply Kirk.

That's very disappointing. Is it a complex feature to implement? Are the tags perhaps already stored somewhere in a .hidden file that I could access?

Why use lo-res files for slideshow viewing? Yes it is necessary in my workflow. Speed and security are the main reasons.  Laptop/projector combination are much faster with low res files and I also want to keep my hi-res, adjusted files 'off-line'. I don't want to risk messing those up during a client viewing, where I might show them some quick adjustments (B&W conversion for instance), that I'll want to do properly later.

Is this a feature you'd be willing to consider adding in the near future?

Thank you.

AlanR

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 07:34:13 AM »
Alan,

That's very disappointing. Is it a complex feature to implement? Are the tags perhaps already stored somewhere in a .hidden file that I could access?

No.  The 'soft-edits' are stored in the files themselves.

Quote from: AlanR
Why use lo-res files for slideshow viewing? Yes it is necessary in my workflow. Speed and security are the main reasons.  Laptop/projector combination are much faster with low res files and I also want to keep my hi-res, adjusted files 'off-line'. I don't want to risk messing those up during a client viewing, where I might show them some quick adjustments (B&W conversion for instance), that I'll want to do properly later.

Is this a feature you'd be willing to consider adding in the near future?

Possibly, but I'm not sure how it would work.  Maybe you can explain how this other software you used to use worked?

-Kirk