Poll

How can I get XP to recognize PM to make a file/photo transfer?

Can't transfer photos from camera
0 (0%)
XP compatibilty ?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: XP doesn't recognize PM ??  (Read 5663 times)

Offline Photog57

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
XP doesn't recognize PM ??
« on: June 27, 2009, 02:40:19 PM »
I have a demo copy of Photo Mechanic (PM) and I am quite impressed with the software.  There is one technical issue that is preventing my purchase.  It seems that Windows XP does not recognize PM as a software for file/photo transfer.  When I attach my camera, PM is not shown as an option for the file transfer.  When the PM Ingest dialog box is open, it does not recognize my camera or memory card.  However, I am able to make the file transfer with Nikon Transfer, Photoshop and Microsoft Camera Wizard.  XP can see my camera

My system is as follows:
Windows XP
Photo Mechanic 4.6.1
PC memory 2 GB
Nikon D300
Sandisk Extreme III   8 GB

Any suggestions what I can do to get PM & XP to work together?  If I can get this resolved I plan to then purchase PM.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: XP doesn't recognize PM ??
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 02:49:38 PM »
I have a demo copy of Photo Mechanic (PM) and I am quite impressed with the software.  There is one technical issue that is preventing my purchase.  It seems that Windows XP does not recognize PM as a software for file/photo transfer.  When I attach my camera, PM is not shown as an option for the file transfer.  When the PM Ingest dialog box is open, it does not recognize my camera or memory card.  However, I am able to make the file transfer with Nikon Transfer, Photoshop and Microsoft Camera Wizard.  XP can see my camera

My system is as follows:
Windows XP
Photo Mechanic 4.6.1
PC memory 2 GB
Nikon D300
Sandisk Extreme III   8 GB

Any suggestions what I can do to get PM & XP to work together?  If I can get this resolved I plan to then purchase PM.

Does your card mount as a drive letter?  Photo Mechanic can only download from drives.  Otherwise it is likely a problem with AutoPlay on your system.  If you search the forums you'll see several threads about AutoPlay inconsistencies and problems.

Even if you can't get AutoPlay to work with Photo Mechanic, you can still download (Ingest) your images with Photo Mechanic as long as your card mounts as a disk.  Just use the Ingest command on the File menu.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Photog57

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 03:34:21 PM »
I can't see the card anywhere on the Ingest menu - not as a disk or a folder.   yet Nikon Transfer recognizes the card.  Any suggestions on how to get PM to recognize the card.

Many thanks !

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 04:09:46 PM »
I can't see the card anywhere on the Ingest menu - not as a disk or a folder.   yet Nikon Transfer recognizes the card.  Any suggestions on how to get PM to recognize the card.

Are you using a dedicated Card Reader (USB or Firewire) or are you directly connecting your camera?  If you're directly connecting your camera then it is likely that Photo Mechanic will not be able to download from it.  We don't recommend using the camera as a card reader since it is usually quite a bit slower than using a dedicated Card Reader and if the camera runs low on power then problems can occur.

-Kirk

Offline Photog57

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 09:56:10 PM »
That was the problem.  I used the card reader, and it recognized PM.  Thanks for the great tech support !  Very impressive.