Author Topic: Closed: Undesireable arrangement behaviour  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Closed: Undesireable arrangement behaviour
« on: June 29, 2009, 01:13:51 PM »
There is a problem with arrangements where you unintentionally lose a carefully setup arrangement and end up with arrangements for folders you've never set them up as well.

Here's how this can be reproduced (there are probably more ways as it has happened to me quite a few times now):
Prerequisite: at least one directory for which you've set an arrangement and one or more for which you haven't.
1. Open a contact sheet for the folder with the arrangement, verify it has the arrangement you want.
2. Close  the contact sheet again.
3. Open CS for folder for which there is no arrangement (sorting set to e.g., filename).
4. Add the folder with arrangement to it. (note: do NOT change the sorting mode)
5. Close the contact sheet with the two directories.
6. Open a contact sheet for the directory with the arrangement, verify it has the arrangement you want. Problem is it hasn't and has reverted back to the original filename order... Not good. Worse, you'll find a .pmarrangement.dat file in the other directory as well...

I'm quite sure opening a whole folder hierarchy (sub folders) can cause loosing arrangements for folders in the same way too, but I can't reproduce this in a controlled way now.

I think this is either a bug in PM, or at least an undesirable oversight, or am I missing something?

Note: I have set "Only allow arrangements to occur when in Arrangement sort mode" in the preferences, changing this option does not change the behaviour though (shouldn't do either, but I thought I should still test).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:18:42 AM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Undesireable arrangement behaviour
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:32:37 PM »
There is a problem with arrangements where you unintentionally lose a carefully setup arrangement and end up with arrangements for folders you've never set them up as well.

Here's how this can be reproduced (there are probably more ways as it has happened to me quite a few times now):
Prerequisite: at least one directory for which you've set an arrangement and one or more for which you haven't.
1. Open a contact sheet for the folder with the arrangement, verify it has the arrangement you want.
2. Close  the contact sheet again.
3. Open CS for folder for which there is no arrangement (sorting set to e.g., filename).
4. Add the folder with arrangement to it. (note: do NOT change the sorting mode)
5. Close the contact sheet with the two directories.
6. Open a contact sheet for the directory with the arrangement, verify it has the arrangement you want. Problem is it hasn't and has reverted back to the original filename order... Not good. Worse, you'll find a .pmarrangement.dat file in the other directory as well...

I'm quite sure opening a whole folder hierarchy (sub folders) can cause loosing arrangements for folders in the same way too, but I can't reproduce this in a controlled way now.

I think this is either a bug in PM, or at least an undesirable oversight, or am I missing something?

Note: I have set "Only allow arrangements to occur when in Arrangement sort mode" in the preferences, changing this option does not change the behaviour though (shouldn't do either, but I thought I should still test).

I'm looking into a solution for this...

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Undesireable arrangement behaviour
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 02:05:15 AM »
Back from holidays I can confirm that the beta Kirk provided me during my absence fixes the problem completely!
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl