Author Topic: Workflow question for motorsport/sport photogs please....  (Read 9359 times)

xfbo

Workflow question for motorsport/sport photogs please....
« on: June 29, 2009, 05:24:29 PM »
New here and havent even purchased this program yet but I asked this question at a forum or two and PM came up by more than one poster so I thought I'd come on here to ask more specific question. I've done a search but nothing seems to cover my question(s).

This question can be answered by ANYONE who might have the answer or who is experienced enough to make a suggestion or from the makers of this program.....please!

I'm trying to come up with the fastest workflow for:
- rating images (from best to throw aways) and
- sorting....by race number or color of vehicle if no race number is available. Not too familiar with keywording but I think that may be the only way to achieve this task???

On a typical trackday, I take anywhere from 2000-3500 images so the above task can be very time consuming, Ive heard ppl recommend this program for its 'code replacement' feature, hence my interest in learning more about it.

I've just currently began using LR which seems to be ok but since I keep hearing about PM I thought I'd ask.

Thnx in advance!
 :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 05:28:02 PM by xfbo »

Offline John OHara

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Workflow question for motorsport/sport photogs please....
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 10:35:54 PM »
I have used this product from the first version I think. PM allows you to input data in a single photo or a folder of 2500 or so images all at once. To make anything perform for you in a way that the end result is an improved product, images with the needed information attached to the files. You are at the right place. I photograph horses, equestrian events. I may have as many as 400 horses at a single event lasting 4 to 14 days.
Data/text files can be imported into various IPTC fields in Photo Mechanic. I use, Title, credit and source. for Horse Name, Rider, owner. You could do the same An IPT file can be created for CAR54. This IPT file could have all the information you have about this car. Driver, Owner, Class, make, color and on and on. Once the .IPT file has been created, you apply that data to the selected photos.
All of this requires data input from you prior to the event. The end result you have images with information that makes them valuable and useful. A photo with out data is like a blank piece of paper. You will have to invest your self into the soft wear and learn it. Today is an everyday learning curve. PM and the people who write it and support it are really very good. They answer the phone when it rings. You don't wait 15 minutes . They are good people.

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »
New here and havent even purchased this program
You should do so, this app is worth every cent you pay for it.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline MontyM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 12:24:59 PM »
...the people who write it and support it are really very good. They answer the phone when it rings. You don't wait 15 minutes . They are good people.

I could not agree more! although I have not phoned in, i have posted questions a couple of times.   they are answered VERY quickly! I am enjoying using this program....

xfbo

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 01:47:28 PM »
Thnx for that reply John.

Platti- I'd love to hear from you on why you feel that way and what other programs have you tried for comparisons sake?

Monty- thnx for the reply and reenforcing John remark on customer service, that IS a huge plus for me.

I gotta admit I was hoping for more replies and workflow ease while using this particular program. Am I wrong in thinking that everything John stated can be done in LR too?

Offline trackside

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 03:27:38 PM »
We use PM for our off road racing photography. It's really great for sorting and rating  (number pad is a quick and easy numerical and color highlighted rating system) Really the only issue that we have is that PM does not sort photos numerically, only alphabetically... so you get vehicle number 100 up with the ones, and vehicle 9 by the 90s or 900s. But aside from that, It's a very speedy app and very less resource intensive when compared to the alternatives. Their relatively new loupe tool is great for identifying vehicle numbers as well. Hope this helps. Oh, and I am comparing with Lightroom (great but the editing features make it very resource intensive and bulky feeling) ACDSee and Aperture.

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 11:58:01 PM »
Hi
it is fast, it is working at the point, the only thing I miss is the possibility to rotate a crop. I even use the searching functions in it more often than in my database app.
I had the possibility to compare it to iPhoto, Aperture und Lightroom.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline markfink67

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • mfpix.com
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 10:23:18 PM »
I've been using PM for maybe 10 years and have only seen it strenghen.  The updates and fixes are frequent and solid.  I have a really hard time leaving PM behind because it is so fast to edit with.  I don't really need to grade images instead needing to ferret out the good and the bad. 

I can make several passes to grade into separate folders probably faster than someone using Lightroom going image by image.  These programs all have their places but if you really want to knock things out, grade, print, caption, rename, organize, compare and view PM is next to impossible to beat.

Recently I used LR and Aperture but they are so fully loaded the workflow is a trickle and I'm on a load Quad processor.  Aperture updates are virtually nonexistent and waiting is for the expense updates 2.0 to 3.0 is driving me bonkers.

PM is a wonderful fall back when AP and LR fail or stall on-site.  It's the energizer bunny and when I get back to base I edit quickly with PM convert in ACR, caption, metadata and rename with PM. I can't really spend all that family time with LR or Ap when I'm punching out hundreds and thousands of photos that really don't need to be star/rated.

It's hard to beat and last time i visited AP and Wash Post both used PM it when getting convention photos out fast is the name of the game.

If you value your time PM might be the one for you.
Virginia Photographer - Mark Finkenstaedt

Editorial, Corporate, Advertising