Author Topic: "Save photo as..." glitch?  (Read 6051 times)

Offline tingchaleun

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
"Save photo as..." glitch?
« on: June 30, 2009, 09:05:20 PM »
Mac OS/X 10.5.7
2gb ram
PM 4.6.1

I often use the Save photo as... tool to convert my .cr2 (canon 40d raw) and .nef (nikon d200 raw) into .jpg files. There was never a problem until today. For some reason, when converting my 12-18mb raw files i end up with <1mb jpegs.

I checked the slider, it is all the way to the right. The approximate size preview (located under "high" and to the right of "subsample chroma") also projects a sub 1mb file size.

Normally, when using this tool i would get a 4-8mb jpeg file when the slider is all the way to the right. What is going on?

I should also mention that this sub 1mb conversion happened after converting several hundred raw files into jpegs normally. In other words, i was using the tool as i normally did, and yielding "normal" sized jpegs from raws, until after a couple hundred then i got the sub 1mb conversions.

Offline tingchaleun

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: "Save photo as..." glitch?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 09:12:50 PM »
Further, to confirm my suspicions of something weird happening is i went back to a jpeg file i converted from earlier today and the file size is 6.7mp while its raw file is 13.1. This is what i expected.

However, now when i convert that same raw file into its highest quality jpeg, it gives me a 1.6mb file.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:34:42 PM »
Mac OS/X 10.5.7
2gb ram
PM 4.6.1

I often use the Save photo as... tool to convert my .cr2 (canon 40d raw) and .nef (nikon d200 raw) into .jpg files. There was never a problem until today. For some reason, when converting my 12-18mb raw files i end up with <1mb jpegs.

I checked the slider, it is all the way to the right. The approximate size preview (located under "high" and to the right of "subsample chroma") also projects a sub 1mb file size.

Normally, when using this tool i would get a 4-8mb jpeg file when the slider is all the way to the right. What is going on?

I should also mention that this sub 1mb conversion happened after converting several hundred raw files into jpegs normally. In other words, i was using the tool as i normally did, and yielding "normal" sized jpegs from raws, until after a couple hundred then i got the sub 1mb conversions.

Did you change the setting that allows the RAW file to be rendered to using the embedded JPEG preview?

-Kirk

Offline tingchaleun

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:12:49 PM »
Thank you for the reply Kirk, but that's tech terms i'm not exactly familiar with. Can you please elaborate.

Offline tingchaleun

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 10:20:34 PM »
"Did you change the setting that allows the RAW file to be rendered to using the embedded JPEG preview?"

I'm not sure how to change this at all, so if i did, it must have been an accident and i didn't notice.

Offline tingchaleun

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:20:55 PM »
I solved my "glitch".

in the Save As window, under Image Processing, i must have accidentally changed "use embedded preview instead of "Render RAW if possible".

Thanks for your input Kirk.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 12:15:31 AM »
I solved my "glitch".

in the Save As window, under Image Processing, i must have accidentally changed "use embedded preview instead of "Render RAW if possible".

Thanks for your input Kirk.

That was indeed the setting I was trying to describe.

-Kirk