Author Topic: "save as"  (Read 8335 times)

Offline caoless

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
"save as"
« on: July 02, 2009, 12:05:06 AM »
I'm trying to save as a Cr2 file that i edited in ACR(adoble camera raw) but everytime i save as. It shows me the raw preview saved as a jpeg or the raw jpeg preview saved. It wont save with the new changes i did to the raw file. do i have to work in photoshop to do this right? trying to mass save multiple images into a folder. Please let me know thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "save as"
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 01:22:43 AM »
I'm trying to save as a Cr2 file that i edited in ACR(adoble camera raw) but everytime i save as. It shows me the raw preview saved as a jpeg or the raw jpeg preview saved. It wont save with the new changes i did to the raw file. do i have to work in photoshop to do this right? trying to mass save multiple images into a folder. Please let me know thanks!

You have to use Photoshop, Bridge, or Lightroom to convert the images since you're using ACR to adjust them.  Photo Mechanic does not have access to Adobe's proprietary RAW rendering engine.

-Kirk

Offline caoless

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 07:48:41 AM »
the strange thing is that when i adjust in ACR, I went ahead and gone through Bridge to batch convert to jpeg and those images that i just converted in ACR didn't change either. I used PM to sort and select photos to adjust first. 

So as far as batch converting to jpeg, should I save everything into a PSD format before converting with PM to get the colors and adjustments i want when i went through ACR and some touch up with PS?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 08:29:20 AM »
the strange thing is that when i adjust in ACR, I went ahead and gone through Bridge to batch convert to jpeg and those images that i just converted in ACR didn't change either. I used PM to sort and select photos to adjust first. 

So as far as batch converting to jpeg, should I save everything into a PSD format before converting with PM to get the colors and adjustments i want when i went through ACR and some touch up with PS?

It sounds like you may be instructing PM to embed IPTC4XMP into your TIFF-based RAW files.  This is something you want to avoid if you're using ACR since it has a bug where it ignores XMP sidecar files (that contain the rendering/adjustment settings) when embedded IPTC4XMP is present.  You can use the 'Revert TIFF-based RAW to original' command on the Tools menu in Photo Mechanic to 'repair' those files and then they should render fine in Bridge.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline caoless

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 09:27:07 AM »
How should i set my settings with the type of usage I'll be using PM with. Especially for the viewing and exporting areas.. I get a little confused when looking at the prefs to change..

this is what i use pm for.

1. Ingest Photos
2. Sort Photos
3. ACR adjustments / Photoshop for Some
4. Export / Convert to Jpeg for client high res files.
(the save as works just fine for my PSD files to jpeg, i just have a problem with actual raw files being converted)
I probably should be switching out to Bridge to do a batch process to lessen the steps taken for converting?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 09:37:29 AM »
How should i set my settings with the type of usage I'll be using PM with. Especially for the viewing and exporting areas.. I get a little confused when looking at the prefs to change..

this is what i use pm for.

1. Ingest Photos
2. Sort Photos
3. ACR adjustments / Photoshop for Some
4. Export / Convert to Jpeg for client high res files.
(the save as works just fine for my PSD files to jpeg, i just have a problem with actual raw files being converted)
I probably should be switching out to Bridge to do a batch process to lessen the steps taken for converting?

If you're adjusting RAW files you'll have to save them as TIFF, PSD, or JPEG in the application of your choice (Bridge, Photoshop, Lightroom.)  Once your images are rendered then Photo Mechanic can perform the #4 tasks you listed.

As for the settings in the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog, here is what I recommend for Adobe users:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline caoless

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 12:35:21 PM »
Thank you so much Kirk!

Since i got a better idea with that. How about viewing images through the libaray without having to zoom into another window to view the raw images.. while in the libaray we only see the jpeg preview. When we open the file with the zoom button on the right hand corner of the images.. it previews the actual raw. can we do this in the libaray?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »
Thank you so much Kirk!

Since i got a better idea with that. How about viewing images through the libaray without having to zoom into another window to view the raw images.. while in the libaray we only see the jpeg preview. When we open the file with the zoom button on the right hand corner of the images.. it previews the actual raw. can we do this in the libaray?

If you use the 'Loupe Cursor' you can zoom at 100% in the Contact Sheet window.

-Kirk