Author Topic: How to restore sample Structured Keywords  (Read 4658 times)

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
How to restore sample Structured Keywords
« on: July 10, 2009, 08:50:06 AM »
Just started setting up my own hierarchical keywords in PM.  Stupidly I deleted all of the sample structured keywords before I realized they are necessary to understand how to format my own UTF-8 text file.  I am not sure what the "wrapper" symbols do and where they go or if I even need them.  I assume the sample structured keywords demonstrate this.

Is there a way I can reload the sample structured keywords.  I reinstalled PM but I guess the install program knows not to overwrite the changes I made.

Thanks

Bill Wood

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to restore sample Structured Keywords
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 11:26:50 AM »
Bill,

Just started setting up my own hierarchical keywords in PM.  Stupidly I deleted all of the sample structured keywords before I realized they are necessary to understand how to format my own UTF-8 text file.  I am not sure what the "wrapper" symbols do and where they go or if I even need them.  I assume the sample structured keywords demonstrate this.

Is there a way I can reload the sample structured keywords.  I reinstalled PM but I guess the install program knows not to overwrite the changes I made.

Yes, but I need to know what OS you're running?

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 02:30:10 PM »
Bill,

-Kirk

Sorry - Win XP Pro  SP3.

Regards

Bill Wood

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 02:34:43 PM »
Bill,

Sorry - Win XP Pro  SP3.

OK, then in the following path (yours may vary somewhat):

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic

You'll see a file named: "StructuredKeywords_UTF-8.txt" which you can rename to something else (just add an 'x' onto the beginning of the file name.)  Then when you startup PM again the file will be created again and it will have the sample set in it again.  You can then view that file to see how it is all laid out.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 03:11:54 PM »
Bill,

OK, then in the following path (yours may vary somewhat):

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic

You'll see a file named: "StructuredKeywords_UTF-8.txt" which you can rename to something else (just add an 'x' onto the beginning of the file name.)  Then when you startup PM again the file will be created again and it will have the sample set in it again.  You can then view that file to see how it is all laid out.

HTH,

-Kirk

For some reason that did not work.  I even deleted all versions of "StructuredKeywords_UTF-8.txt" but when I restart PM only my own keywords are in the newly created "StructuredKeywords_UTF-8.txt", none of the sample keywords are there.

Regards

Bill Wood

Offline trackside

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 03:30:59 PM »
Was PM open while you were renaming/deleting?

I bet it will re-write them if you keep PM open. Close it, remove the file, then re-start PM.  ...this just my hunch though  ;D

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 03:39:31 PM »
Was PM open while you were renaming/deleting?

I bet it will re-write them if you keep PM open. Close it, remove the file, then re-start PM.  ...this just my hunch though  ;D

Yes, that worked perfectly.  Thanks.

By the way your structured keywords tool is very crafty indeed.  And the recent thread about the spaces before/after the "|" separator was helpful as well.  I removed the spaces and hopefully that will allow my keywords to work in Lightroom.

Regards

Bill Wood