Author Topic: Double Click is KILLING me!  (Read 5167 times)

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
Double Click is KILLING me!
« on: July 10, 2009, 04:43:37 PM »
Ok, I don't know why double clicking on a director "selects" it instead of "opens" it.

Ever since I got into computers in 1984, a double click has always opend a folder, but PM wants to select it with a double click and this is causing me a lot of grief.

Is there a way to change this so that it acts like it does on a Windows based PC?
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Double Click is KILLING me!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 05:30:35 PM »
Ok, I don't know why double clicking on a director "selects" it instead of "opens" it.

Ever since I got into computers in 1984, a double click has always opend a folder, but PM wants to select it with a double click and this is causing me a lot of grief.

Is there a way to change this so that it acts like it does on a Windows based PC?

Are you running the Windows version of Photo Mechanic?  What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?

The Launching tab of the Preferences dialog allows you to choose how folders are opened as contact sheets.

-Kirk

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 05:48:12 PM »
Yes, I am runnign the Windows Version 4.6.1
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 05:54:09 PM »
The only thing I saw is how a Contact Sheet is opened.

But it's deeper than that.

IE: I was doing a Save As of 11 images that I shot for a Panorama.
When selecting where to place int PSD files, PM open a dialog box. In Windows is I double click a folder it opes that folder (not select it) so that I can drill down to where I want to go. But when I am not thinking and accidentaly double-click the folder, PM starts dumping the file right there! Now I have a mess to clean up and then I have to repeat the process the PM way to get to the folder I really wanted.

It is just that habits are so hard to break - and when EVERY other application I have acts a specific way (but one) messes are made - it is very frustrating!
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 06:11:16 PM »
The only thing I saw is how a Contact Sheet is opened.

But it's deeper than that.

IE: I was doing a Save As of 11 images that I shot for a Panorama.
When selecting where to place int PSD files, PM open a dialog box. In Windows is I double click a folder it opes that folder (not select it) so that I can drill down to where I want to go. But when I am not thinking and accidentaly double-click the folder, PM starts dumping the file right there! Now I have a mess to clean up and then I have to repeat the process the PM way to get to the folder I really wanted.

It is just that habits are so hard to break - and when EVERY other application I have acts a specific way (but one) messes are made - it is very frustrating!

I understand now.  The folder chooser dialog.  A number of users requested that it work that way so we made it work that way.  I'd have to figure out how that operation is intercepted (the programmer who added that functionality is no longer with the company) in order to make it optional.

In the meantime, have you looked into the other save as destination options?  It may be entirely possible that with the use of variables that you could automate the destination folder completely.

-Kirk

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 07:06:37 PM »
I use a verity of different options for saving and each directory is specific to the project and the output type.

Also, this is just one example as it does the same thing when opening a folder as well (and it all the dialogs).

Could this be a MAC thing? Seems weird that PC folks would ask for it this way?

I appreciate that fact that you are willing to look in to it.
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 07:54:13 PM »
I use a verity of different options for saving and each directory is specific to the project and the output type.

Also, this is just one example as it does the same thing when opening a folder as well (and it all the dialogs).

I would expect that to be the case since it is the same dialog in all areas of the application.

Quote from: csgaraglino

I suppose it could be a Mac thing but it really doesn't matter where the requests came from.

-Kirk

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 09:24:33 PM »

Quote from: Kirk Baker
I suppose it could be a Mac thing but it really doesn't matter where the requests came from.

Sorry for offending you... It was just a curiosity question. As a software engineer I like to know these kind of thins. It helps me understand how people think and use software.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:09:07 PM by Kirk Baker »
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 10:10:24 PM »

Quote from: Kirk Baker

Sorry for offending you... It was just a curiosity question. As a software engineer I like to know these kind of thins. It helps me understand how people think and use software.

I'm not offended at all.  It's just that the 'Mac' in Macintosh is spelled 'Mac' not MAC...

-Kirk

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 10:15:10 PM »
Fair enough...

Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 10:39:24 PM »
Fair enough...

I found out where the code enables double-clicks to choose folders.  I modified it to make it optional and added a preference in the Accessibility tab of the Preferences dialog.  Would you like to test it?

-Kirk

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 08:26:05 AM »
Absolutely!
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com