Author Topic: Purpose of Ingest feature  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Laszlo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Purpose of Ingest feature
« on: July 11, 2009, 09:18:36 AM »
I have always uploaded my files from my CF cards directly to a folder using the Mac Finder. This seems to be a straightforward operation that accomplishes what I want.

What is the purpose of Ingest? Does this offer any meaningful advantage over simply using Finder?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Purpose of Ingest feature
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 11:03:07 AM »
I have always uploaded my files from my CF cards directly to a folder using the Mac Finder. This seems to be a straightforward operation that accomplishes what I want.

What is the purpose of Ingest?

To download your photos from your camera cards.

Quote from: Laszlo
Does this offer any meaningful advantage over simply using Finder?

Yes.  It can flatten the directory structure, make a backup, rename the photos to your liking, apply an IPTC Stationery Pad, create a desirable directory structure, all in one step.

-Kirk

Offline Laszlo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 12:26:01 PM »
Kirk thank you so much for your response.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "flatten the directory structure"?

As I presently work, I put all files from a shoot in a single folder. After I do my first cut, then I rename all the pictures and begin sorting them into other sub folders. I cannot do any of this before the first cut, so there's no advantage to my having the pictures automatically fall into a directory structure.

Applying the IPTC stationary pad is very easy to do in Photo Mechanic after the first cut.

What am I misunderstanding?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 01:00:31 PM »
Kirk thank you so much for your response.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "flatten the directory structure"?

The directory structure on the camera card.  It's laid out like this:

DCIM
    Folder
        image files
    Folder
        image files
    ...etc.

This can be flattened so that all of the pictures you shot end up in a single folder.

As I presently work, I put all files from a shoot in a single folder. After I do my first cut, then I rename all the pictures and begin sorting them into other sub folders. I cannot do any of this before the first cut, so there's no advantage to my having the pictures automatically fall into a directory structure.

Applying the IPTC stationary pad is very easy to do in Photo Mechanic after the first cut.

True, but there is always some base information you can add like your copyright and photographer, and possibly location information.

What am I misunderstanding?

Nothing.  If Ingest doesn't offer anything you consider useful then you don't have to use it.  Many photographers find it indispensable.

Also, it keeps you from making a mistake and accidentally skipping some files.

-Kirk

Offline Laszlo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 08:01:41 PM »
Thank you Kirk. I finally understand.

As it happens I once did an assignment during which I had removed the CF card from my camera and later put it back. I did not realize that this would cause a new folder to be added to the CF card. When I downloaded the images, I ignored the second folder and forgot to send it to the client. It was not until about 2 weeks later that someone asked what happened to so and so photos. Why aren't they here. Then I went looking and saw for the first time that there was an additional DCIM folder on one card.

Now I realize that "Ingest" could have saved me from this problem.

Thanks.

Offline Jonzinator

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 09:58:55 PM »
Another feature that I use on ingest is the backup to a 2nd location. Great for archiving.  Ingesting to 2 locations at once is very handy. 

Also, I usually import 10+ cards to I like to have all my files renamed in sequence on ingest.

Just my 2 cents....

Troy

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 12:17:42 PM »
Also, it offers incremental ingest. Which I found indispensable. When I can ingest a card during a half in a football game, send few photos, and continue shooting on it without worrying about either owerwriting already captioned files or loosing the photos from first half due to card format and computer error. And of course, that it can put photos from several days of shooting (if for example I don't format the card) and several folders on the card into dated directories automaticaly based on date shot of the photo. That way I can cover a multi-day event, keeping the old photos on card for added security (today with 8GB+ cards no problem of space) and just ingest it again and again for just the new photos keeping the old ones safe on card...

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 12:17:58 PM »
Interesting thread.

I used to move files around myself too, I even wrote a set of little scripts to perform e.g. file renaming etc. automatically the way I wanted it. I just didn't believe in some program doing this important task. I was even reluctant to try PM's Ingest function (even though I liked and trusted the rest of the program). But once I tried it, I was immediately hooked on it and now use it 100% of the time for all my ingests. Like others I use it too to set the basic (copyright) info and details.

I still use scripts, but they are now more used to maintain the (multiple) copies of my image files and backups (yes, I also make use of the ability to ingest to two locations simultaneously) and to make sure I keep these in sync as well as move "selected" and "unselected" images to different locations once I've finished tagging, culling and basic PP.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl