Author Topic: copy photo's from Laptop to PC  (Read 5520 times)

Offline Guidigio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
copy photo's from Laptop to PC
« on: July 09, 2009, 05:33:31 AM »
Hi,

on holiday I have Ingested all my photo's on 2 ext. HD's attached to my laptop using PM 4.6.1 ( XP SP3.)  I have renamed the photo's added IPTC pad and keywords. I use the parameters to sent the photo's to a specific folder on each drive.
Pictures {iptcyear4}\{iptcmonth0}-{iptcmonthname3}-{iptcyear4}\{iptcyear4}-{iptcmonth0}-{iptcday0} 
Now at home I want to copy the photo's to my PC. I don't want to change the naming, IPTC , keywords and the folders.
Can I use PM to do the copy or is it better to simply use XP to copy the photo's to, again two drives? The parms in the PM copy screen confuses me.
Thanks
Guido

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: copy photo's from Laptop to PC
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 06:15:34 AM »
Guido,

on holiday I have Ingested all my photo's on 2 ext. HD's attached to my laptop using PM 4.6.1 ( XP SP3.)  I have renamed the photo's added IPTC pad and keywords. I use the parameters to sent the photo's to a specific folder on each drive.
Pictures {iptcyear4}\{iptcmonth0}-{iptcmonthname3}-{iptcyear4}\{iptcyear4}-{iptcmonth0}-{iptcday0} 
Now at home I want to copy the photo's to my PC. I don't want to change the naming, IPTC , keywords and the folders.
Can I use PM to do the copy or is it better to simply use XP to copy the photo's to, again two drives? The parms in the PM copy screen confuses me.

Photo Mechanic can certainly do the copying, but you'd have to open all of the Pictures folders as a single contact sheet to use the Copy dialog or use Ingest in Folders mode.  Since you feel more comfortable using Windows Explorer to do the copying, I'd suggest you go that route.

-Kirk

Offline Guidigio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 01:30:07 PM »
Kirk,

thanks

Guido

neobux

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 04:09:08 AM »
Guido,

Photo Mechanic can certainly do the copying, but you'd have to open all of the Pictures folders as a single contact sheet to use the Copy dialog or use Ingest in Folders mode.  Since you feel more comfortable using Windows Explorer to do the copying, I'd suggest you go that route.

-Kirk

I too have been using photo mechanic for quite some time now. Serves my need in all kinds of small and big tasks. Wasn't aware that it could be used in this way too. Will surely try.