Author Topic: NEF Ratings disappear with PM 4.6.1  (Read 6707 times)

Offline acorbera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
NEF Ratings disappear with PM 4.6.1
« on: July 15, 2009, 05:20:32 PM »
I started having problems with dissapearing NEF ratings after upgrading to PM 4.6.
Then I read the forums and found that 4.6.1 Beta fixed it, and I confirmed it.
Later I upgraded to the official 4.6.1 release and the problems started again.

Worse, the problem is not consistent. Sometimes the rating stays, others it dissapear just a couple of seconds after I set it.

I am using Windows XP SP2, 2 GB RAM.

I noticed the folders of my pictures are "read only", but that seems to be not a problem for PM 4.5.4.
Besides, Microsoft says there is no way to make the folders (not the pictures) "not read-only", unles you make some changes on the registry.

Attached are the settings of both PM 4.5.4 (always work, never fails), and PM 4.6.1 (ratings stay intermittently).

For now, I went back to PM 4.5.4, even when I can add GPS data to my pictures.

Thanks in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: NEF Ratings disappear with PM 4.6.1
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 06:41:34 PM »
I started having problems with dissapearing NEF ratings after upgrading to PM 4.6.
Then I read the forums and found that 4.6.1 Beta fixed it, and I confirmed it.
Later I upgraded to the official 4.6.1 release and the problems started again.

Worse, the problem is not consistent. Sometimes the rating stays, others it dissapear just a couple of seconds after I set it.

I am using Windows XP SP2, 2 GB RAM.

I noticed the folders of my pictures are "read only", but that seems to be not a problem for PM 4.5.4.
Besides, Microsoft says there is no way to make the folders (not the pictures) "not read-only", unles you make some changes on the registry.

Attached are the settings of both PM 4.5.4 (always work, never fails), and PM 4.6.1 (ratings stay intermittently).

For now, I went back to PM 4.5.4, even when I can add GPS data to my pictures.

Do you also use Capture NX2?  If so, do you keep it open to the same folder you're working with in Photo Mechanic?

-Kirk

Offline acorbera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:28:42 AM »
Yes, you are right. I use Capture NX2 at the same time as PM4.6.1. The same way as I use PM4.5.4 and NX2.
I don't have the folder opened in NX2, I just edit the picture that I open from PM: right-click, edit.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:31:59 AM »
Yes, you are right. I use Capture NX2 at the same time as PM4.6.1. The same way as I use PM4.5.4 and NX2.
I don't have the folder opened in NX2, I just edit the picture that I open from PM: right-click, edit.

Capture NX2 keeps the file open in such a way that PM cannot consistently access it.  The same problem should happen to version 4.5.4 as well.

-Kirk

Offline acorbera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 11:31:02 AM »
I thought that might be the case. I noticed that when I start editing in NX2 some other photo, PM 4.6.1 -sometimes- is able to change the ratings of a picture that was edited previously. It is like NX2 keeps in the buffer/cache the last edited photo.
However, I don't have any problems with any picture, if using PM4.5.4 and NX2.

I even tried to run PM4.6.1 "as Administrator" in order to overwrite any permission of the files.

If NX2 conflicts with PM4.6.1, do you have any recommendation on how to use these applications?

My workflow has been to label pictures with Colors, then change the rating of a picture as soon as I finished editing it in NX2. This way I know which pictures need to be edited on each folder.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 01:24:03 PM »
I thought that might be the case. I noticed that when I start editing in NX2 some other photo, PM 4.6.1 -sometimes- is able to change the ratings of a picture that was edited previously. It is like NX2 keeps in the buffer/cache the last edited photo.
However, I don't have any problems with any picture, if using PM4.5.4 and NX2.

I even tried to run PM4.6.1 "as Administrator" in order to overwrite any permission of the files.

If NX2 conflicts with PM4.6.1, do you have any recommendation on how to use these applications?

My workflow has been to label pictures with Colors, then change the rating of a picture as soon as I finished editing it in NX2. This way I know which pictures need to be edited on each folder.

It's not a permissions issue.  It is that sometimes NX2 keeps a file open for exclusive access and PM cannot open the file for writing.  Pointing NX2 at a different folder seems to solve the issue.

-Kirk

Offline acorbera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 01:30:06 PM »
I will try that. Thanks.