Author Topic: Tethered Shooting ?  (Read 68931 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Tethered Shooting ?
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2008, 06:37:58 AM »

We don't have any immediate plans for adding tethered shooting capabilities to Photo Mechanic.

How about the ability to scroll through the photos and tag them in the live slide show?
(ie a live preview....)

You should be able to do all of that already, just like in the regular Slide show.  All of the keyboard commands are the same.

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2008, 09:35:08 AM »
I see that now.
It would be great if we had the option of seeing the colors/rating/tag.
If you go back and forth to re-edit your never sure which one you (or the client sitting at the monitor) have selected.

It would also be great (but not as critical as above issue) if you could control/right click on the image and be able to email or ftp it.
(I guess what I would really like is a live preview!).

Thanks Kirk,

Marc
Marc

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2008, 02:26:25 PM »
I'm bumping this to see if there is still interest in offering this feature. I don't expect to be able to control the camera, but I would like the ability to specify the capture folder, name captures on input, apply a Stationary Pad and backup to 2 drives and change any of these settings on-the-fly.

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but it is already easy to use PM through the Canon EOS Utility- with or without Live View. As long as PM is the active application it does a good job of seeing and displaying the images as they come into the computer- although I sometimes need to use Rescan (shouldn't this be in View column next to Refresh? But that's another story). I can set the Capture Folder and the File Naming in the EOS Utility. IMO PM is already superior to DPP, Lightroom and ACR for this functionality. Unfortunately, if PM is not the active application you have to bring it forward before it will show new images.

If there were a way to have PM continue to monitor and update the capture folder, even while it's in the BG, I'd have most of what I want. Add the ability to set and apply a Stationary Pad on download and I'd have 80% of what I need. To get me to 100% you'd need to eliminate the need to set things up in EOS Utility, but I think 80% would be great.

There is one other feature that I'd love to see included. CaptureOne Pro can take any jpg and use it as an overlay with the ability to adjust size, position, opacity and rotation. This is very useful when shooting to a layout. I don't know how many people would want and use this feature (you might be surprised), but if added it would add functionality that is sadly lacking in almost all other tethered solutions.

BTW, I'm using the Canon 1DsM3.

Ric Cohn
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 02:49:05 PM by rcohn »

Offline courtlevephoto

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2008, 08:12:08 AM »
YES, this would be very welcomed.

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2008, 10:36:33 AM »
I'd definitely use this feature. 
9254 reads on a subject gotta say something.

~ Craig

Offline ArtemB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2008, 10:06:16 AM »
I add my vote to tetthered shooting. (maybe we can get the 10000 mark for this tread)

I have had it with the arrogance of some DAM providers, so I really would love to see DAM capabilities in PM. Nevertheless tethered shooting is probably much closer to the original philosophy of PM than DAM would be?!

Cheers,
Boris.

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2008, 07:32:09 AM »
(snip) I really would love to see DAM capabilities in PM. Nevertheless tethered shooting is probably much closer to the original philosophy of PM than DAM would be?!

I agree. I'm happy to have PM remain focused on getting my files onto my computer and edited before processing. Tethered shooting fits right in with this. I don't want to lose the speed and simplicity of PM. I don't think adding tethered shooting would affect the speed of PM. I don't see how making PM into a DAM application couldn't slow it down. I'm satisfied with using a different program for DAM, but I'd like to use PM as much as possible in the ingest stage.

Ric