Author Topic: Tethered Shooting ?  (Read 68929 times)

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
Re: Tethered Shooting ?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 08:01:53 AM »
Camera control is not an issue for me.
The idea of having a full screen slideshow sounds nice.
Plus the ability to rename and add IPTC as in Ingest.

The Canon software renames all files when shooting tethered, meaning I have to "Ingest" them again, renaming etc.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 08:04:47 AM »
Camera control is not an issue for me.
The idea of having a full screen slideshow sounds nice.
Plus the ability to rename and add IPTC as in Ingest.

The Canon software renames all files when shooting tethered, meaning I have to "Ingest" them again, renaming etc.

So if this feature were to act like a "Live Ingest", copying to a destination, renaming, and applying IPTC Stationery, followed by a high resolution display of the photos, then that would be pretty ideal?

Can you give me an example of how the Canon software renames the files when shooting tethered?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 10:41:50 AM »
Kirk,
Sounds to me like you've got the issues pretty well described here.  Canon uses two pieces of software for shooting tethered: DPP and EOS Utility.  DPP is their viewer/RAW converter (generates way less noise than CS Camera Raw).  EOS Utility is an app that sync's the camera to a harddrive directory for downloading the images via 4-pin USB2.  The latter also allows remote setting changes and firing of camera.

As far as file names go... Canon's 1DII writes images to CF card as  "_T9R3124.cr2+jpg".  These are transfered to (PC in my case) and called "IMG_###.cr2+jpg".  Procedurally, I store images both on PC and CF card during shoot for sake of redundancy.  At end of shoot, I ingest CF cards via PM and rename in my own convention, leaving me with a working directory with Canon names, a project directory with the names I want, and CF cards with gobbledygoop names.  I suppose I could just rename the IMG# files in the working directory, but trouble is I loose all reference #'s to specific images the client has commented upon.

EOS Utility functions - in terms of camera control - are probably well beyond the scope and mandate of PM, but to have PM facilitate a "Live Ingest" with user defined naming convention and prompt refresh times sounds fantastic.  That we could even incorporate client comments in an IPTC field and associated .wav files would be icing on the cake.

FWIW,
Craig
www.craigpulsifer.com
PM 4.4.3.1 / XP_pro_SP2

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 12:02:44 PM »
So if this feature were to act like a "Live Ingest", copying to a destination, renaming, and applying IPTC Stationery, followed by a high resolution display of the photos, then that would be pretty ideal?

That would be perfect for me  ;D

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 02:51:12 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I love the live ingest concept. Camera control via PM isn't an issue as I never use it. FWIW I just trialed Nikon's latest and their new tethered app is definately a step *backwards*. It doesn't even automatically update the preview.

What I would like in a live ingest is what PM already offers in its preview: histogram, click to zoom, rate, delete, IPTC, side-by-side comparison, and of course colour managed previews.

I'd even be happy with simply an instantly updated "hot-folder".

Thanks,

-- Robert.

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 06:27:24 PM »

CAPTIONING ISSUE WHEN WIRELESSLY SHOOTING RAW+JPG BUT ONLY TRANSMITTING JPG

Another issue I have with wireless shooting is that we shoot RAW+JPG but to save time, a considerable amount of time, we only transfer the JPG which is captioned as it comes in. (We apply a generic caption in batches and then refine the specifics through the info button.) This enables us to immediately FTP/EMAIL proofs to clients.
Trouble is that when we return to the studio later and download the raw files they are not captioned.
It would be great to have a 'synchronize caption' from JPG to RAW command that would synchronize the caption of files with the same name, better yet make it a check box in the ingest box that would copy the caption (and maybe even the renamed name....) of the existing JPG to the RAW file if you downloaded it into the same folder.

MARC
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 09:03:07 PM »
Marc,

CAPTIONING ISSUE WHEN WIRELESSLY SHOOTING RAW+JPG BUT ONLY TRANSMITTING JPG

Another issue I have with wireless shooting is that we shoot RAW+JPG but to save time, a considerable amount of time, we only transfer the JPG which is captioned as it comes in. (We apply a generic caption in batches and then refine the specifics through the info button.) This enables us to immediately FTP/EMAIL proofs to clients.
Trouble is that when we return to the studio later and download the raw files they are not captioned.
It would be great to have a 'synchronize caption' from JPG to RAW command that would synchronize the caption of files with the same name, better yet make it a check box in the ingest box that would copy the caption (and maybe even the renamed name....) of the existing JPG to the RAW file if you downloaded it into the same folder.

There is already a Tool to do what you're asking for.  All it requires is that you have the images have the same base name (same name not counting the extension).  They don't even need to be in the same folder (you can open both folders in a single Contact Sheet.)  Then make sure you are in RAW+JPEG mode and select the photos you want to synchronize.  Use the "Update IPTC/XMP..." command on the Tools menu.  You can choose to update the JPEG from the RAW or vice-versa.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 09:04:33 PM »
Marc,

What's the workflow that enables you to caption JPG's during capture?

Craig

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 04:10:58 AM »
Marc,

What's the workflow that enables you to caption JPG's during capture?

Craig

(We apply a generic caption in batches and then refine the specifics through the info button.)
Its done manually on the fly. Its not an ingest.

Marc

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 04:16:50 AM »

There is already a Tool to do what you're asking for.  All it requires is that you have the images have the same base name (same name not counting the extension).  They don't even need to be in the same folder (you can open both folders in a single Contact Sheet.)  Then make sure you are in RAW+JPEG mode and select the photos you want to synchronize.  Use the "Update IPTC/XMP..." command on the Tools menu.  You can choose to update the JPEG from the RAW or vice-versa.

HTH,

-Kirk

As always I am humbled.

It gets a little cumbersome when doing this to two drives, so an ingest check box linking to the update feature would still be great. Also any thoughts on synchronizing the numbering? As wireless shooting becomes more popular, I really believe these will become an issue.
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 06:41:29 AM »
It gets a little cumbersome when doing this to two drives, so an ingest check box linking to the update feature would still be great. Also any thoughts on synchronizing the numbering? As wireless shooting becomes more popular, I really believe these will become an issue.

I'm not sure what you mean by "synchronizing the numbering"?

As for making Ingest know about files you previously had Ingested...  I really don't know, that would be kind of difficult to implement since we don't keep track of previously ingested files (other than for Incremental Ingest.)

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 07:52:28 AM »

As for making Ingest know about files you previously had Ingested...  I really don't know, that would be kind of difficult to implement since we don't keep track of previously ingested files (other than for Incremental Ingest.)

-Kirk

For previously ingested they would have to be downloaded to the same folder, so the ingest dialog checkbox would be to update xmp/iptc for any files found with the same name.

Syncing the numbers is more abstract as the wireless ingest does not exist yet. This would be to identify files that originally had the same number (but were changed on the initial JPG wireless ingest) and give their name to the later ingested RAW. I would assume that they would have to go into the same folder....

Again, we often need to distribute the JPGs quickly for proofing but like to have the RAW files for production work. These are downloaded later to save time when shooting wirelessly. Currently renumbering is too complicated.

This may seem a little esoteric but it is these timesavers, implemented so far ahead of the competition that put PM so far ahead of the pack.
Marc
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 08:39:01 AM »
Marc,

For previously ingested they would have to be downloaded to the same folder, so the ingest dialog checkbox would be to update xmp/iptc for any files found with the same name.

Syncing the numbers is more abstract as the wireless ingest does not exist yet. This would be to identify files that originally had the same number (but were changed on the initial JPG wireless ingest) and give their name to the later ingested RAW. I would assume that they would have to go into the same folder....

Again, we often need to distribute the JPGs quickly for proofing but like to have the RAW files for production work. These are downloaded later to save time when shooting wirelessly. Currently renumbering is too complicated.

This may seem a little esoteric but it is these timesavers, implemented so far ahead of the competition that put PM so far ahead of the pack.

How is it that the "numbers" change when doing wireless?  I would think that the RAW+JPEG photos at the time of capture would have the same names (not counting file extensions.)

If we were to add such a feature, you wouldn't be able to rename during Ingest, or even after Ingest because the names of the JPEGs initially downloaded would not match up with the RAWs downloaded later.

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 09:22:38 AM »

How is it that the "numbers" change when doing wireless?  I would think that the RAW+JPEG photos at the time of capture would have the same names (not counting file extensions.)

If we were to add such a feature, you wouldn't be able to rename during Ingest, or even after Ingest because the names of the JPEGs initially downloaded would not match up with the RAWs downloaded later.

-Kirk

The numbers would change because you're (hopefully) creating a wireless ingest that would include renaming...... I guess what I'm wondering is if the original camera file name is hidden in the metadata and if PM could find this to identify similar files (one raw and one jpg) and then write the new jpg name to the RAW file. This would be really useful for wireless shooting. If not then perhaps it can't be done.

I realize I'm getting ahead of the program here but I'm trying to anticipate needs.

I would still love an auto iptc/xmp update option in the ingest.
Marc

Marc
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 09:33:51 AM »
Marc,

The numbers would change because you're (hopefully) creating a wireless ingest that would include renaming...

We would be creating an Ingest that can watch a folder for new files.  It won't know a thing about wireless.  It will just notice that new files are available to ingest.  How the files get into the folder is up to the user's other software (FTP server, Tethered software, etc.)

Quote from: mbbphoto
I guess what I'm wondering is if the original camera file name is hidden in the metadata and if PM could find this to identify similar files (one raw and one jpg) and then write the new jpg name to the RAW file. This would be really useful for wireless shooting. If not then perhaps it can't be done.

Some models do put their frame number in the Exif data, but some don't so we can't count on it.

Quote from: mbbphoto
I realize I'm getting ahead of the program here but I'm trying to anticipate needs.

I would still love an auto iptc/xmp update option in the ingest.

We hear you.  Some of what you're requesting just isn't easy to manage and implement.

-Kirk