Author Topic: Tethered Shooting ?  (Read 68930 times)

Offline pdm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Tethered Shooting ?
« on: April 30, 2006, 10:59:27 PM »

Is tethered shooting in the future for PhotoMechanic?  Its a feature I'd love to see, to stay within the same program.  Right now on OSX I have to use DPP and then I have PM ingest that directory when I'm done.

-pdm

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Tethered Shooting ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 11:47:31 PM »
Is tethered shooting in the future for PhotoMechanic?  Its a feature I'd love to see, to stay within the same program.  Right now on OSX I have to use DPP and then I have PM ingest that directory when I'm done.

I think we'd consider it if Canon and Nikon would get modern versions of their libraries out to developers.  Currently on Mac OS X, they're slightly better than useless.  Hopefully that will change soon since Intel Macs are a reality.

To EVERYONE: would this be a welcome feature?

-Kirk

Offline Tony Fiorda

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 11:26:34 AM »
Definately in a studio environment.  I could prevent a lot of chimping!  ;D

Tony...
Tony...

Offline sdillon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 06:39:20 AM »
I would absolutely welcome it.  For any studio shooting I do, I'd much rather shoot tethered than have to ingest CFs later, and I'd much rather use PM than DPP.

Offline Josh_Hawkins

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 01:38:58 PM »
I'd love to see it.  I'm usually running the 3 canon pieces of software necessary to do the job and PM so I actually have something good to browse in also.

Josh

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 06:25:07 PM »
A nice feature it would be indeed ! You may check your fellow developper Chris Breeze who's making SLR Remote Pro for features.

Thanks for your great software.

Hugo

Offline Colin Hackley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 08:58:24 AM »
Kirk,

This would be a welcome feature. We are currently looking at a way of shooting big events with our Nikon cameras tethered to a network so editors could prep our images for transmission as they come in. Nikon Capture appears to be the only way to shoot tethered at this time.

Colin

Offline mzachs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • MagicalPhotos.com
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 11:21:28 PM »
In the near future I plan on getting the WiFi tranmitter for my D-200 for use with my real estate customers who want to post the pictures as soon as they are shot. This feature would be great to help with that, I think.

I also would love the picture movable feature to put in order the the top ten real estate pix. My current work around is to put letters or numbers at the beginning of each file name.

I am ready to throw down bucks to upgrade to 4.5.
Thanks again,
Hope this helps,

Mitchell Zachs
http://www.MagicalPhotos.com/
MAC OS 10.12.2, on a MacBook Pro Retina 2.33 Ghz Intel Core i7

Offline JerryL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 11:17:38 PM »
Hi Kirk - please add our name to the "sort of" Yes list as well.

We shoot tethered a great deal of the time in conjunction with Nikon Capture.  We use PM for viewing, but have to refresh the thumbs page after each new shot is taken, which can get old when clients are looking over the shoulder.  It would be great if PM had an user setting/option to keep itself up to date or not.

I probably would still use NC for the tethered mode however, as I'm usually using the "advanced" features for remote camera operations (e.g. ap and shutter control, grey point setting, etc.).

Many thanks as always!
jerry

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 09:25:58 AM »
If this is a poll, mark the Great White North as a yes.  One challenge you'll have is file naming... presently, DPP default file name is IMG ####; card file names are something else, and then final naming has to happen in PM afterwards.

Craig
Salmon Arm, BC
www.craigpulsifer.com

Offline thomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 12:07:32 PM »

To EVERYONE: would this be a welcome feature?

-Kirk

Yes please -  that would enhance the usability of PM substantially

Kind regards

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 02:23:29 PM »
I use DPP for tethered shooting and has the problem with file naming too. I would love to be able to use PM and rename during shooting.

Offline ckegelman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 10:57:28 AM »
This would be great and I was just thinking since PM already has a refresh command you could maybe create a copy of it but set the refresh rate to some thing faster IDK if it has to be for my 8fps camera but have the user define the speed like 2secs, 1sec, or faster and have it keep the images in the same place or automatically select the newest image, and then be able to turn it off after you have finished shooting.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 07:12:06 AM »
I use DPP for tethered shooting and has the problem with file naming too. I would love to be able to use PM and rename during shooting.

OK, guys.  I found this thread again.

When you all want "tethered shooting", what does this mean to you?  Does it mean that you want Photo Mechanic to control your camera directly?  Or does it mean that you would use your software and have Photo Mechanic "monitor" the folder that your images are downloaded into?

And exactly what is the file naming issue?  Is this a Nikon thing or a Canon thing?

Would having Photo Mechanic monitor a specific folder and then presenting images full screen as fast as possible (in a slide show format) be a good solution?

Thanks for the feedback,

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 07:28:06 AM »
OK, guys.  I found this thread again.

When you all want "tethered shooting", what does this mean to you?  Does it mean that you want Photo Mechanic to control your camera directly?  Or does it mean that you would use your software and have Photo Mechanic "monitor" the folder that your images are downloaded into?

Would having Photo Mechanic monitor a specific folder and then presenting images full screen as fast as possible (in a slide show format) be a good solution?

Thanks for the feedback,

-Kirk

Without question this is my biggest wish for PM.

The folder monitor would be a great start. Camera control would be much less frequently used by me.

Full size previews with an auto refresh and the ability to immediately toggle (and edit the ingest caption) on the images that have just been shot.
I hope this would work for FTP wireless or tethered with the capture program working in the background.

For tethered a real time ingest  (renumber and caption AND to a backup drive).

For wireless we only transmit jpgs so an ingest might be confusing, particularly concerning file numbering when we download the raws later.

FTP to another server on the fly would also be cool.....

Marc
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 08:00:38 AM by Kirk Baker »
Marc