Author Topic: Tethered Shooting ?  (Read 68936 times)

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
Re: Tethered Shooting ?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2006, 10:30:06 AM »

We would be creating an Ingest that can watch a folder for new files.  It won't know a thing about wireless.  It will just notice that new files are available to ingest.  How the files get into the folder is up to the user's other software (FTP server, Tethered software, etc.)

I would still love an auto iptc/xmp update option in the ingest.

We hear you.  Some of what you're requesting just isn't easy to manage and implement.

-Kirk
[/quote]

Thanks Kirk,
I think you get what I'm saying.
Folder ingest with active refresh would be awesome.
Your responsiveness is what keeps us all here!
Marc
Marc

Offline Dan-o

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 01:47:16 PM »

So if this feature were to act like a "Live Ingest", copying to a destination, renaming, and applying IPTC Stationery, followed by a high resolution display of the photos, then that would be pretty ideal?

Hello all. I'm new to the forums but glad to have found them.

Kirk I want to thank you from the start for helping create such a great piece of software and keeping it updated. You not only make our jobs easier, but give other development teams something to shoot for, especially in the efficient workflow / previewing category.

Regarding tethered shooting (presume it could be wireless also, which is the way we'd do it most likely), the features you describe would be pretty much perfect for a lot people I suspect. The studio I work for shoots D2x (probably will get a FF Canon system to augment), and MF digital. While camera control is much more important for the latter, it's not that important for DSLR work IMO because the cameras themselves require much less attention than MF systems.

What's important is being able to cut wasted time out of the image selection and categorization workflows. I wouldn't necessarily make the slideshow part automatic (an option more like), but being able to show clients what their shots are looking like, making small adjustments, getting rid of mediocre shots or miscues -all right away- would be quite useful. During a shoot there is usually at least one pair of idle hands from time to time; that person man's the workstation or laptop, paying attention to remove the bad files, set aside great ones for a final post-shoot slideshow, etc.

What I envision is a three-panel window, where thumbnails appear down the left-hand panel, as their transfer completes... a thin exposure metadata and camera connection status strip across the bottom (not resizable), and a large preview panel in the middle. Options for the thumbnail panel would include size, icon vs. list view, etc.

The preview panel can either remain static on the most recent image previewed, or it can slowly progress through every thumbnail as they become available. I think it would also be useful to move things to the trash straight from the thumbnail panel, or use a "Move to" command to place them in another shoot folder for final presentation for example.

So let's say shot 200 was just transfered, the preview generates and up it goes. In slideshow mode, it stays up for a predetermined duration (user definable between 1 and 20 seconds let's say), then moves on to the next image. Slideshow options besides duration would include preview size (by virtue of the left panel being able to resize left and right), background grayscale, and maybe a couple simple transitions (crossfade and slide in/out would make the most sense IMO).

-Dan
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 01:50:25 PM by Dan-o »

Offline Chris Ho Photography

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • chrishophoto.com
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2006, 01:00:25 PM »
I would love to see tethered shooting avalable in PM! Camera control would be very useful especialy if both Canon and Nikon cameras were supported.

-Chris
Chris Ho Photography

Phone: 503.307.7677
Email: chris@chrishophoto.com
Web:   http://www.chrishophoto.com

Member ASMP & EP

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2006, 11:15:47 AM »
Yes, tethered shooting control would be great ... but please don't do like Canon and say you can number to 1999 images but really only to 999 images! :-) This error is in all the manuals and really screwed me up.  I sometimes do timelapse via tether and 3000 images is nothing ... 25,000 would cover what I do.

Offline ddegab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2006, 01:39:49 PM »
I've been playing around with Canon's EOS Utility tethered with a 1Ds11 via firewire. I'm using PM to view the shots as they are written to the drive. I'm targeting a folder where PM can view the thumbs and preview windows. The thumbs view works pretty good in that all incomming shots display fine one right after the other. However in the preview window it would be nice to have the incomming shots show up in this view without having to jump back to the thumbs view to refresh. Is there a way to make the preview window auto refresh?

thanks for a great product!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2006, 01:53:20 PM »
I've been playing around with Canon's EOS Utility tethered with a 1Ds11 via firewire. I'm using PM to view the shots as they are written to the drive. I'm targeting a folder where PM can view the thumbs and preview windows. The thumbs view works pretty good in that all incomming shots display fine one right after the other. However in the preview window it would be nice to have the incomming shots show up in this view without having to jump back to the thumbs view to refresh. Is there a way to make the preview window auto refresh?

No, not currently.  The only way it will do it is if you switch out to another application and back in again, then it will refresh.

-Kirk

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • Morten Vassing│Photojournalist
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2007, 08:08:36 AM »
This is an old request from May-June of last year but still we are some shooters dying to know about support for tethered shooting in 4.5 or if Camera Bits have dropped that idea altogether for their pro browser.

Best,

Morten Vassing

http://vassing.com
Morten Vassing│Photojournalist - COPENHAGEN│Denmark - Nikon D3│MacBook Pro │ Mac OS X (10.8)│PM5

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2007, 08:22:18 AM »
Morten,

This is an old request from May-June of last year but still we are some shooters dying to know about support for tethered shooting in 4.5 or if Camera Bits have dropped that idea altogether for their pro browser.

Dropped the idea?  No.
Will it be implemented soon?  No.

Controlling your camera is not easy without SDK support from the camera manufacturers.  Some of their libraries are not current on the Mac OS platform and will have to wait until they are updated.  Even then such a feature is not easy to implement.

-Kirk

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2007, 03:38:53 PM »
Hi,

I use Nikon's software to shoot tethered and display using the new Live Slideshow in PM4.5. I can appreciate the nightmare of keeping up to date with camera manufacturer's SDKs and the latest operating system. Look how long it took Nikon to update its SDK for Intel Macs and now there's Windows Vista.

-- Robert.

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 06:32:53 PM »

Dropped the idea?  No.

-Kirk

So the Hot Folder Concept is harder than we thought?
You cant have an option where it auto refreshes every 5 secs?
I dont mind having Capture running in the background...
Marc
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2007, 06:42:58 PM »
Marc,

Dropped the idea?  No.

So the Hot Folder Concept is harder than we thought?
You cant have an option where it auto refreshes every 5 secs?
I dont mind having Capture running in the background...

No, but the thread is titled "Tethered Shooting" and tethered camera control is not coming soon.  The Live Slide Show does indeed watch a folder and presents the newest images on screen as they become available.

It sounds like Live Slide Show may meet your needs.  It won't control your camera.  It won't ingest the pictures.  It shows them.

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2007, 06:09:11 AM »

It sounds like Live Slide Show may meet your needs.  It won't control your camera.  It won't ingest the pictures.  It shows them.

-Kirk

Great,
sorry I havent been paying close enough attention. This is really helpful.

Thoughts for next version:
can we activate the arrow keys to allow us to go back and forth through the slide show images and tag them or better yet can we make the preview window 'live' giving us the ability to to navigate through and tag the images as we go...

Thanks Kirk, for this substantial new upgrade.
Marc

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2008, 12:22:06 PM »
Hi,

Any updates regarding tethered shooting? I notice that the new version of Aperture supports tethered shooting. It would be great if this were available in Photo Mechanic. We don't need camera control, just the ability to shoot while connected to the computer and have the images automatically downloaded and ingested into PM.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2008, 12:35:29 PM »
Paul,

Any updates regarding tethered shooting? I notice that the new version of Aperture supports tethered shooting. It would be great if this were available in Photo Mechanic. We don't need camera control, just the ability to shoot while connected to the computer and have the images automatically downloaded and ingested into PM.

We don't have any immediate plans for adding tethered shooting capabilities to Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2008, 05:41:20 AM »

We don't have any immediate plans for adding tethered shooting capabilities to Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

How about the ability to scroll through the photos and tag them in the live slide show?
(ie a live preview....)
Marc