Author Topic: Cannot see edits made to my Raw file in Bridge  (Read 3105 times)

Offline elnickdealberto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Cannot see edits made to my Raw file in Bridge
« on: July 18, 2009, 10:07:13 AM »
I have one Raw file. I open this file in Bridge and edit in Camera Raw.  When I color balance, crop, an XMP file is created. I can see this changes in Bridge.

However, those changes are not reflected in PhotoMechanic's preview.  How can I view my RAW file in PhotoMechanic as I've tagged it to look in Bridge?

PM it´s a great program (and expensive) and this is a big problem for me and for a lot of people. What can we do?

Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cannot see edits made to my Raw file in Bridge
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 10:11:35 AM »
I have one Raw file. I open this file in Bridge and edit in Camera Raw.  When I color balance, crop, an XMP file is created. I can see this changes in Bridge.

However, those changes are not reflected in PhotoMechanic's preview.  How can I view my RAW file in PhotoMechanic as I've tagged it to look in Bridge?

PM it´s a great program (and expensive) and this is a big problem for me and for a lot of people. What can we do?

It is impossible for Photo Mechanic to render RAW files the same way as Adobe's software since their rendering technology is proprietary.  That said, if you use the DNG file format and set Adobe's software up to update the embedded JPEG previews when you adjust your RAW files with their software, then Photo Mechanic will be able to show you that updated embedded JPEG preview and you'll see your adjusted image.

-Kirk

Offline elnickdealberto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 08:45:27 AM »
Thank you very much Kirk.

How can i do this? Do i have to convert my CR3 files to DNG? and how can i update the embedded jpg?

Thanks a lot Kirk.

Al

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 09:24:18 AM »
Al,

How can i do this? Do i have to convert my CR3 files to DNG? and how can i update the embedded jpg?

You can convert most RAW file types to DNG using Adobe's free DNG Converter application available from www.adobe.com

In version 4.6.1 of Photo Mechanic you can do this conversion from the Tools menu.  As far as getting Adobe's software to update the DNG file when it is adjusted, you'll have to consult their documentation.  I do know that it is possible.

-Kirk