Author Topic: Video Files EXIF data  (Read 10205 times)

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
Video Files EXIF data
« on: July 22, 2009, 06:43:59 AM »
Hi,

Am just wondering about the possibility to show the EXIF data of .mov video files, like those produced by the Canon 5D Mark II.
From my (limited) understanding, it is stored in a sidecar ".thm" file which is actually a small 160x120pixel .jpg file containing a preview and EXIF data (if you rename the extension to .jpg from .thm you see it).
Would it be possible for PM to read the info from these sidecar files and display it when you preview the main .mov file?
I can send you a sample if that helps...

Thanks,

Ben

PS - Any thoughts on the viability of this:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=3742.0

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Video Files EXIF data
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 06:47:26 AM »
Ben,

Am just wondering about the possibility to show the EXIF data of .mov video files, like those produced by the Canon 5D Mark II.
From my (limited) understanding, it is stored in a sidecar ".thm" file which is actually a small 160x120pixel .jpg file containing a preview and EXIF data (if you rename the extension to .jpg from .thm you see it).
Would it be possible for PM to read the info from these sidecar files and display it when you preview the main .mov file?
I can send you a sample if that helps...

No need.  We have one of those cameras ourselves.  We're planning to add a lot of new functionality for working with videos in version 4.7 of Photo Mechanic.

Quote from: Ben Curtis
PS - Any thoughts on the viability of this:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=3742.0

That feature (or something like it) may be possible for version 4.7.

-Kirk

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 06:49:39 AM »
Great news, I look forward to seeing it, thanks... Is there a roadmap estimate for when 4.7 is likely?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 07:53:49 AM »
Ben,

Great news, I look forward to seeing it, thanks... Is there a roadmap estimate for when 4.7 is likely?

No, not at this time.

-Kirk

Offline Russe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 01:04:41 PM »
… We're planning to add a lot of new functionality for working with videos in version 4.7 of Photo Mechanic …

Hi Kirk,
I'm interested in RIFF tags support at AVI videos (all my Canon Ixus cameras are writing these RIFF tags to the AVI file). Are you planning this as well?
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/RIFF.html

--
Russe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 01:40:04 PM »
… We're planning to add a lot of new functionality for working with videos in version 4.7 of Photo Mechanic …

I'm interested in RIFF tags support at AVI videos (all my Canon Ixus cameras are writing these RIFF tags to the AVI file). Are you planning this as well?
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/RIFF.html

Not at the moment, but I'll discuss this with the rest of the team.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 06:21:15 PM »
Just another question relating to the above mentioned. Will PM some time support video files from Canon G10 (or other compact) cameras as well as the 5D? I presume the G10 stores videos and definietly does with audio files somewhat different than DSLRs may.

My wideos and audio files recorded with the G10 are allways ingested into a folder renamed having no time variables (folder should be named in a datesort kind of way. Is there any hope this will somehow be solved some time?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 08:13:11 PM »
szurkebarat,

Just another question relating to the above mentioned. Will PM some time support video files from Canon G10 (or other compact) cameras as well as the 5D? I presume the G10 stores videos and definietly does with audio files somewhat different than DSLRs may.

My wideos and audio files recorded with the G10 are allways ingested into a folder renamed having no time variables (folder should be named in a datesort kind of way. Is there any hope this will somehow be solved some time?

What file format does the G10 produce for video files?