Author Topic: Can ingest create multiple date folders?  (Read 4253 times)

Offline rjp

• View Profile
Can ingest create multiple date folders?
« on: July 29, 2009, 01:30:51 PM »
Can the ingest process create multiple folders depending on the creation date of the image?

For example, say I have an SD card with 5 days' worth of pictures on it. Can I setup PM so that ingesting this card causes 5 folders to be created, each containing the images for that day?

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Re: Can ingest create multiple date folders?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 01:47:25 PM »
In the Ingest dialog box, under Copy Photos, select "into folder with name" and enter the name {year4}{month0}{day0}.

Deven

Offline rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 07:14:30 PM »
In the Ingest dialog box, under Copy Photos, select "into folder with name" and enter the name {year4}{month0}{day0}.

Deven

Works perfectly!

Thanks

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:36:29 PM »
Should have mentioned you can also use the {datesort} variable to create the same directory names.

Deven

Offline rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 06:40:23 AM »
Should have mentioned you can also use the {datesort} variable to create the same directory names.

Deven

I am not familiar with that variable. I'll have to try it out.

I did discover it is also possible to effectively "resort" existing directories to the new date-of-shot format. The way I just did this was to first setup the ingest folder naming as you said, and then run the ingest feature on an existing directory structure. This re-ingests every photo and creates new directories corresponding to the capture date of the photos. Then I have to manually delete the original directories. Perhaps there is a better way to do this using copy? Any other ways to rearrange directories? If so let me know.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 06:53:49 AM »

Deven

I am not familiar with that variable. I'll have to try it out.

I did discover it is also possible to effectively "resort" existing directories to the new date-of-shot format. The way I just did this was to first setup the ingest folder naming as you said, and then run the ingest feature on an existing directory structure. This re-ingests every photo and creates new directories corresponding to the capture date of the photos. Then I have to manually delete the original directories. Perhaps there is a better way to do this using copy? Any other ways to rearrange directories? If so let me know.

You could use the Copy Photos command with the 'Move photos' option checked.  (It still won't delete the old directory structure, but the folders will be empty.)  You'd have to open all of the folders into a single contact sheet tab to do so, then select the photos and do the move operation.  Then you'd have to delete the folders by hand.

Probably just easier to use Ingest (Ingesting folders.)

-Kirk

Offline ticktockdoc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 09:52:56 PM »
I would like to have multiple subfolders automatically created when I ingest based on date created (like Lightroom can :)).
When I ingest using {year4}{month0}{day0} it will create folders 20090926 and 20090927 for example. What I want is
subfolders created so the structure is:
for example.
If all the photos on a card are from the same month I can select that month's folder as the primary folder and create named folders based on day only,
ie {day0}. But if the card has photos from 2 different months (July 31 and Aug 1 for example), I'm stuck. Any solution?
Thanks

Offline ticktockdoc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 10:00:07 PM »
I just did a search among old posts and found the answer. Just make it {year4}/{month0}/{day0}.
Sorry for posting before looking.
Thanks for the awesome product.