Author Topic: sorting files by date and time  (Read 12104 times)

Offline photomike

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
sorting files by date and time
« on: July 30, 2009, 01:33:32 AM »
I shoot with a Nikon D700 and D90.
Can I ingest the files from both into the same folder
sort by date and time and then rename?
How do I do this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: sorting files by date and time
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 06:40:24 AM »
How do I do this?

Sure.  Just Ingest both cards to the same destination folder.  Once both cards have been ingested, change the sort from Filename to Capture Time.  Select all of the photos and then use the Rename command.

If the pictures were shot by two people simultaneously you may want to adjust the capture times on the second camera (you decide which one had the most accurate time).  You can separate out the camera's photos by creating a custom sort using the {model} variable.  That way each camera's photos will be grouped together.  Then you can select the second camera's photos and use the 'Adjust Capture Dates and Times' command in the Tools menu to adjust the times by the amount necessary to get them aligned in time.  Once that is done, change your sort back to Capture Time and then do your Rename.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:08:28 AM »
How do I do this?

Sure.  Just Ingest both cards to the same destination folder.  Once both cards have been ingested, change the sort from Filename to Capture Time.  Select all of the photos and then use the Rename command.

If the pictures were shot by two people simultaneously you may want to adjust the capture times on the second camera (you decide which one had the most accurate time).  You can separate out the camera's photos by creating a custom sort using the {model} variable.  That way each camera's photos will be grouped together.  Then you can select the second camera's photos and use the 'Adjust Capture Dates and Times' command in the Tools menu to adjust the times by the amount necessary to get them aligned in time.  Once that is done, change your sort back to Capture Time and then do your Rename.

HTH,

-Kirk

This would be another good use for automatic assignment of color class: Have all photos from one camera show up red and all photos from the other camera show up blue making it real easy to identify them on the contact sheet.

if ({model} == "D700") set(colorclass, red);
if ({model} == "D90") set(colorclass, blue);

If only there were a way to write instructions like this.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:10:18 AM by rjp »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 09:48:19 AM »
How do I do this?

Sure.  Just Ingest both cards to the same destination folder.  Once both cards have been ingested, change the sort from Filename to Capture Time.  Select all of the photos and then use the Rename command.

If the pictures were shot by two people simultaneously you may want to adjust the capture times on the second camera (you decide which one had the most accurate time).  You can separate out the camera's photos by creating a custom sort using the {model} variable.  That way each camera's photos will be grouped together.  Then you can select the second camera's photos and use the 'Adjust Capture Dates and Times' command in the Tools menu to adjust the times by the amount necessary to get them aligned in time.  Once that is done, change your sort back to Capture Time and then do your Rename.

HTH,

-Kirk

This would be another good use for automatic assignment of color class: Have all photos from one camera show up red and all photos from the other camera show up blue making it real easy to identify them on the contact sheet.

Right.  We would have to add a scripting language capability to Photo Mechanic in order to do this.

And if we were to do that, the code would more likely be like this (Ruby scripting):

if {model} == "D700"
  set_colorclass(0)
elsif {model} == "D90"
  set_colorclass(1)
end

-Kirk

Offline rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 10:57:59 AM »
How do I do this?

HTH,

-Kirk

Right.  We would have to add a scripting language capability to Photo Mechanic in order to do this.

And if we were to do that, the code would more likely be like this (Ruby scripting):

if {model} == "D700"
  set_colorclass(0)
elsif {model} == "D90"
  set_colorclass(1)
end

-Kirk

Yes! And you would make me so very happy.

If PM is anything, it is flexible. And this sort of scripting is the ultimate in flexibility.

You've already got the variables, which is great. Why not go one more step and provide the scripting language to make decisions based on these variables?

It could be awesome.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:00:18 AM by rjp »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 11:33:22 AM »
How do I do this?

HTH,

-Kirk

Right.  We would have to add a scripting language capability to Photo Mechanic in order to do this.

if {model} == "D700"
  set_colorclass(0)
elsif {model} == "D90"
  set_colorclass(1)
end

-Kirk

Yes! And you would make me so very happy.

If PM is anything, it is flexible. And this sort of scripting is the ultimate in flexibility.

You've already got the variables, which is great. Why not go one more step and provide the scripting language to make decisions based on these variables?

It could be awesome.

We agree.  It's something we want to do.  It just has a lower priority than some other features we're working on right now.

-Kirk