Author Topic: Pictures moved instead of copied  (Read 6450 times)

Offline olidie

• View Profile
Pictures moved instead of copied
« on: August 05, 2009, 07:37:28 AM »
Hello,

it recently caused some problems for me that PM moves pictures instead of copying them when I pull a selection into another folder within the navigator. Being used to windows I would prefer pushing shift if I really want to move. Is there a way to change this? I mostly use use crtl-y but drag n drop sometimes is more convenient. Plus I had problems with ctrl-y remembering if copying or moving. This caused me moving pictures into nirvana...

oliver

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Pictures moved instead of copied
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 10:42:39 AM »
Oliver,

it recently caused some problems for me that PM moves pictures instead of copying them when I pull a selection into another folder within the navigator. Being used to windows I would prefer pushing shift if I really want to move. Is there a way to change this? I mostly use use crtl-y but drag n drop sometimes is more convenient. Plus I had problems with ctrl-y remembering if copying or moving. This caused me moving pictures into nirvana...

Photo Mechanic acts just like the Finder in regards to drag-and-drop.  If the source and destination folders are on the same volume then drag and drop with no keys held down will do a move.  Holding down the Option key will show a little '+' badge on the dragged items and will perform a copy.

The other issue with the Copy Options dialog will be solved in the upcoming 4.6.2 release.

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 12:35:51 PM »
Thanks for your reply Kirk.

My PM is moving selected picture even when dragging and dropping to a target on another volume. Sure holding down shift it will copy the selection but coming from windows I expect copy to be the standard function. If I drag it on a favorite PM wants to copy the selection.

oliver
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:37:20 AM by olidie »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 06:38:44 AM »
oliver,

My PM is moving selected picture even when dragging and dropping to a target on another volume. Sure holding down shift it will copy the selection but coming from windows I expect copy to be the standard function. If I drag it on a favorite PM wants to copy the selection.

What version of PM are you using?  What OS are you running PM on?

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 01:13:23 PM »
I am using PM 4.6.1 on XP 32.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 02:35:13 PM »
I am using PM 4.6.1 on XP 32.

I understand now that you meant by 'coming from Windows' means that you're using Windows currently.  I thought that you had switched platforms and were now running Mac OS X.

I'll try and reproduce your issue on a Windows system and if I can reproduce it I will do what I can to solve the problem.

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 03:51:48 AM »
Sorry for not being more precise from the beginning.

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 01:34:32 AM »
Hello Kirk,

have you had the chance to reproduce my problem? It keeps happening to me that I move instead of copying. Especially when I use the navigator tree to copy pictures to a portable drive.

oliver

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 06:32:40 AM »
oliver,

have you had the chance to reproduce my problem? It keeps happening to me that I move instead of copying. Especially when I use the navigator tree to copy pictures to a portable drive.

No, but I'll try to reproduce it today.  Thanks for reminding me.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 09:30:55 AM »
oliver,

I was able to reproduce it and also test Windows Explorer to see what conditions it uses to determine when to change from a move to a copy operation.  It turns out that on my system (and I don't know if this is the same on all Windows systems) that one must hold down the Control key to force a copy.  Move is default when the source path and destination paths are on the same root path.  Holding down the Control key will force a Copy in this case.  Copy is default when the source and destination path root paths differ.  The Shift key will force a Move when the default is a Copy.

Note that Windows Explorer is only capable of moving files/folders from one drive/volume at a time.  Photo Mechanic can easily have a Contact Sheet containing photos from multiple drives at once.  This complicates things somewhat.  I have decided to simplify this by evaluating the root path of the destination and the root path of the first photo in the drag selection.  The drop operation will be equally applied to all photos in the drag selection no matter where they come from.

I have added the same behaviors as Windows Explorer to the Navigator in the Windows version.  Would you like to test?

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 12:27:50 PM »
Thank you very much Kirk!

My Windows system is behaving just like you experienced it. All are. Just yesterday I dragged a picture from a contact sheet opened via the navigator to a favorite and PM copied by default. I did not have to hold down the Shift key. I will try again to see if I can reproduce this. Still I would love to test your solution.

oliver

p.s. How can a Contact Sheet contain photos from more that one drive? By "Open Folder and Sub-Folders"?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:32:04 PM by olidie »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 03:05:48 PM »
oliver,

My Windows system is behaving just like you experienced it. All are. Just yesterday I dragged a picture from a contact sheet opened via the navigator to a favorite and PM copied by default. I did not have to hold down the Shift key. I will try again to see if I can reproduce this. Still I would love to test your solution.

I sent you a link to the test version in a private message.

Quote from: olidie
p.s. How can a Contact Sheet contain photos from more that one drive? By "Open Folder and Sub-Folders"?

Correct.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 11:58:34 PM »
Quote from: olidie
p.s. How can a Contact Sheet contain photos from more that one drive? By ?

Correct.

-Kirk

I  think it isn't entirely correct. "Open Folder and Sub-Folders" opens a folder and all of its subfolders in a contactsheet but in most of the cases sub folders are on the same drive as their parent folder (with some exceptions of course).

The correct answer to the question is the part after the above piece "Open in current contact sheet".

However I am courious does it work with a hierarchy (folder with subfolders) in one step as well? There is only the option ...open in new contact sheet or ...open replacing current contact sheet. But neither seems to me being an "add their content to the current contact sheet".

And more to thet the ...open replacing current contact sheet seems not to work in the case when I allready have the parent folder opened in the contact sheet but I would need its subfolders in it as well (which often can happen I think). In situations like this I keep receiveing the error message "One or more of the folders in the subfolder scan are already open as a contact sheet. Operation cancelled." But yes I know the parent folder is allready open that is why I want to replace it with the contents of the same folders added with its subfolders. Isn't it what replace is meant for? If not than how should I understand the word "replace" function here?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com