Author Topic: Edit With Feature  (Read 4585 times)

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
Edit With Feature
« on: September 04, 2009, 07:05:41 AM »
Ok, so there seems to be two options for this Edit With feature - but I am not sure how they are working?
When I right click a photo I have:
Edit Photo
Edit Photo With

In the Preferences under the Launch Tab I had the "Default Application to Edit Photos" set to "Let Windows...", but that would open who knows what, and it really is kind of useless when you think about it - since by default most people will have an application to VIEW photos "controlled" by Windows and an application to EDIT photos (typically one or two apps).

What I need to be able to do is right click to edit, but be able to choose Capture NX or Photoshop to edit my photos and I can not figure out how to get PM to let me do that? Depending on what I am doing with the photo is going to dictate what editor I need.

Any ideas on how to set this up would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Edit With Feature
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:19:31 AM »
Chris,

Ok, so there seems to be two options for this Edit With feature - but I am not sure how they are working?
When I right click a photo I have:
Edit Photo
Edit Photo With

In the Preferences under the Launch Tab I had the "Default Application to Edit Photos" set to "Let Windows...", but that would open who knows what, and it really is kind of useless when you think about it - since by default most people will have an application to VIEW photos "controlled" by Windows and an application to EDIT photos (typically one or two apps).

It's not useless.  Both Windows and Mac OS X let you tell the OS what application you want to use to open a particular file format.  So if you're more comfortable with that option, Photo Mechanic will allow you to work that way.

Quote from: csgaraglino
What I need to be able to do is right click to edit, but be able to choose Capture NX or Photoshop to edit my photos and I can not figure out how to get PM to let me do that? Depending on what I am doing with the photo is going to dictate what editor I need.

In the Launching tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog you can configure which apps are available for editing.  Click on the 'Set...' button that appears to the right of the text "Assign specific editing applications for each file type:"

That should do it.

-Kirk

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 07:48:44 AM »
Sorry Kirk, I did not mean that PM was useless - only this feature in Windows.

I did see that, but I keep all my files in NEF format and I do not store ANY JPEGs on my hard drive. PM does an excellent job of creating JPEGs when I need them and then removes them when done - this makes for an extremely efficient system and keeps my hard drives very clean.

There are times when I need a NEF opened in NX2, and ACR, but also times when I just want to send a JPEG to Photoshop to add a border, or tweak a bit.
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 08:59:52 AM »
Chris,

Sorry Kirk, I did not mean that PM was useless - only this feature in Windows.

I didn't think you were disparaging Photo Mechanic at all.

Quote from: csgaraglino
I did see that, but I keep all my files in NEF format and I do not store ANY JPEGs on my hard drive. PM does an excellent job of creating JPEGs when I need them and then removes them when done - this makes for an extremely efficient system and keeps my hard drives very clean.

There are times when I need a NEF opened in NX2, and ACR, but also times when I just want to send a JPEG to Photoshop to add a border, or tweak a bit.

You can add more editors at the end of the list (Custom editors) that you don't assign to any specific file type.  You can then choose them when you want with the 'Edit with' submenu.

-Kirk

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:22:12 AM »
Perfect, thanks!
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com