Author Topic: Flickr upload....  (Read 5389 times)

Offline webfrasse

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Flickr upload....
« on: August 06, 2009, 11:15:01 PM »
Hi!

I would like to see the creation of a Photo set in Flickr consisting of the current upload. Now as I see it I have to upload the images, go to flickr, find them again, create the set. Every other photo site on the planet has an album concept...not Flickr. Hence all these stupid workarounds. Can't beat their price though...

/Mikael

Offline steve_fine

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Flickr upload....
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 04:48:50 PM »
I would really like to see this added to the flickr uploader as well.
I use it a lot, and the only thing it really needs added is the ability to
add 'make a new set' dialogue.

Thanks

Offline derektom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 05:51:16 PM »
Fully agree...

There needs to be a way to upload photos into a NEW photoset.

Every other Flickr upload plugin (or app with Flickr upload functionality built in) that I've used has that basic function.

Would be nice to get some feedback from Camera Bits on this.

Thanks,
Derek

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 06:33:27 PM »
Derek,

Fully agree...

There needs to be a way to upload photos into a NEW photoset.

Every other Flickr upload plugin (or app with Flickr upload functionality built in) that I've used has that basic function.

Maybe there is something about their API that we're missing out on, but it appeared to be a chicken and the egg situation where you have to have an image already loaded to represent a photo set.  PM is never going to browse your Flickr account to allow you to choose a photo as the representation for a new photo set.  No other services work that way so we didn't design in the ability for PM to download images to present them as a list to choose from.

Is it really that inconvenient to use Flickr to create a photo set before you try to upload to it with Photo Mechanic?

-Kirk

Offline derektom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for your reply.

Please watch this screencast which shows how with FlickrExport for iPhoto (from http://connectedflow.com) and Flickr Uploadr (from Flickr), you can easily upload photos to a new photoset:

http://screencast.com/t/ZTBjOTk4

Since Flickr's UI is terrible, the above setups actually save quite a bit of steps after the uploading process completes when you have to finish up on the Flickr site (go to 'Organize & Create' which takes time to load, load in recently uploaded photos, add to new set...). It's not major, but when you're doing this on a daily/weekly basis, it adds up.

Actually, I'm thinking of switching to SmugMug even though I have a Flickr Pro account so this may not be a big deal for me shortly! $15 more per year for SmugMug seems worth it for a company that is way more responsive to customers (just like Camera Bits!) and offers a service that has a much more user-friendly UI and higher-quality/res viewing, especially on large screens. I just signed up last night for their 14-day trial but very much like what I'm experiencing and discovering about both the service and company (researched on and off their site). If anyone wants to try/sign up for SmugMug (http://www.smugmug.com), they can use my referral code wdyeZcwHEQnpR which gives them $5 off the annual fee and $10 credit to me.

Hope this helps and thanks for listening.

Cheers,
Derek

Offline ahg

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 01:42:45 PM »
Yes please! The ability to make a new set is crucial to making the Flickr upload process worthwhile. I actually just upgraded to the new version of PM primarily to add flickr upload functionality (I'd been just using Windows Live Photo Gallery to do this) and I'm a bit bummed to see that this basic function is missing. The process of visiting flickr to manually create a set and move photos in after uploading them is too time consuming, and in effect means I'll be back to WLPG for that. I was hoping to do all my tagging, etc., and uploading without having to switch aps.

This has to be possible, since every other flickr uploader I've used includes it, including WLPG and the flickr uploader. Maybe it's just not easy or obvious?