Author Topic: Keeping wave files if associated image is deleted?  (Read 3403 times)

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
Keeping wave files if associated image is deleted?
« on: August 09, 2009, 07:53:12 PM »
I normally do a quick edit and deleted the bad images - then realize a wav files is missing (deleted with a bad image) . Is there a to prevent that?
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Re: Keeping wave files if associated image is deleted?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 08:23:27 PM »
Not that I am aware of.  Instead of deleting the files I mark them as Trash (color code) and then move them into a \delete subdirectory for the shoot.  To save space and time during backups, my backup process skips all the \delete subdirectories.  Eventually I run a batch process that deletes all these subdirectories.

When you ingested your files, did you make a secondary copy?  If so, you'll find your .wav files there.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 11:13:20 PM »
Joe,

I normally do a quick edit and deleted the bad images - then realize a wav files is missing (deleted with a bad image) . Is there a to prevent that?

No, there is no way to prevent that.  The WAV file associated with a photo that is deleted is also deleted.  Same goes for other associated files like XMP sidecar files.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 07:44:15 AM »
As others have already pointed out, deleting an image, also deletes any associated (e.g., WAV or .XMP) file. If you have enabled the option (which is the default), the files should have ended-up in your trash though, so you should still be able to recover them (unless you've cleared the trash).

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 06:43:20 PM »
Thanks - I do always ingest to a secondary location. so I can find then for some time. I guess I need to STOP deleting before transcribing my notes or move them to a subfolder earlier.
Would it be possibe to have wave files ingested to a wav subfolder on ingest?
Thanks
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:44:52 PM »
Thanks - I do always ingest to a secondary location. so I can find then for some time. I guess I need to STOP deleting before transcribing my notes or move them to a subfolder earlier.
Would it be possibe to have wave files ingested to a wav subfolder on ingest?

No, not really.  Is it possible?  Yes, but unlikely that we'll implement that feature.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 02:53:28 AM »
Not that I am aware of.  Instead of deleting the files I mark them as Trash (color code) and then move them into a \delete subdirectory for the shoot.  To save space and time during backups, my backup process skips all the \delete subdirectories.  Eventually I run a batch process that deletes all these subdirectories.

When you ingested your files, did you make a secondary copy?  If so, you'll find your .wav files there.

Deven

I too mark bad images as trash instead of deleting them on the fly. After this you can do a {hassound} sort to see if there are any wav files marked for delete and you can skip deleting them or even manually rename in the OS the WAV file to any other image you plan to keep this way saving it...
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com