Author Topic: Snow Leopard support  (Read 2754 times)

Offline PGuyton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Snow Leopard support
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:53:57 AM »
Hi,
I'm on a Mac and Snow Leapord is due out in Sept/Oct timeframe I believe. With it , the potential for 64 bit application support.

My question is this: When Snow Leopard is released, will PM run on it or will there be a lag before you support it?  Secondly, will there be a new or special version of PM which runs as a 64 bit app?

Thanks in advance,
Peter G.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Snow Leopard support
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:45:30 PM »
Peter,

I'm on a Mac and Snow Leapord is due out in Sept/Oct timeframe I believe. With it , the potential for 64 bit application support.

My question is this: When Snow Leopard is released, will PM run on it or will there be a lag before you support it?  Secondly, will there be a new or special version of PM which runs as a 64 bit app?

Photo Mechanic 4.6.x already runs on developer releases of Snow Leopard.  Whether or not all parts of the application work perfectly is not yet known.  When Leopard came out there were some issues and even more issues happened with updates to Leopard that we had to try and fix.

I do not recommend that you upgrade to any 'point-0' release if you use your computer for your business.  I also recommend that you watch these forums for information pertaining to the new OS and compatibility with Photo Mechanic before you upgrade.

As far as 64-bit goes, upgrading an application to 64-bit isn't a trivial task since all linked libraries also have to be 64-bit.  When they're available then we'll start working on a 64-bit version.  Is there some special need of yours for Photo Mechanic to be a 64-bit application?

-Kirk

Offline PGuyton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Snow Leopard support
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 06:52:47 PM »
Peter,

As far as 64-bit goes, upgrading an application to 64-bit isn't a trivial task since all linked libraries also have to be 64-bit.  When they're available then we'll start working on a 64-bit version.  Is there some special need of yours for Photo Mechanic to be a 64-bit application?
-Kirk

No special need for 64-bit. I'm just guessing that the extra memory address space would be a help to PM (e.g. when opening multiple folders in a contact sheet) or perhaps for the new catalog tool you guys are working on (4th quarter?).  But I'm not a "bleeding edge" upgrader type person, I have a few core apps of which PM is one, and will wait for some proven support from you and others before taking the dive.
Regards,
Peter G.