Author Topic: Unify the UI - no more Preview window  (Read 5336 times)

Offline Boatguy

• View Profile
Unify the UI - no more Preview window
« on: August 10, 2009, 03:51:29 PM »
I find the modality of the Preview window to be annoying.  Since the contact sheets are not accessible while using a Preview, why not eliminate the Preview window and incorporate the preview into the contact sheet area as is done with Lightroom?  This could pave the way for enabling access to a broader set of functions in the Preview mode and reducing the "modality".

Just a suggestion.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Unify the UI - no more Preview window
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:54:43 AM »
Hmm, I tend to agree, I too find the modality and separateness strange and mildly annoying.

I'm not sure if this can (easily) be solved though…
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Tekrat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 08:39:25 PM »
I couldn't disagree more.  Personally I like the preview window, but I totally agree the "modality" needs updated.  With dual monitors, the preview window could be really functional if access to the contact sheet were allowed, i.e. click on an image in the contact sheet and it's displayed in the preview window.  This, and an ingest feature where PM would created folders/subfolders based on date shot and deposit images in those folders are my most desired improvements to the core PM feature suite.  In addition I am completely stoked about the coming catalog feature.  Thanks to the PM staff for building a great product and being willing to listen and evolve it!
"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours."
Richard Bach, "ILLUSIONS"

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:14:42 PM »
This, and an ingest feature where PM would created folders/subfolders based on date shot and deposit images in those folders are my most desired improvements to the core PM feature suite.

This feature has been in Photo Mechanic since version 4.5.0.  You can use variables to create your subfolders like this for instance:

{year4}/{month0}/{day0}/

-Kirk

Offline Tekrat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 09:52:25 AM »
Kirk,

Thanks for reminding me, PM does allow ingesting from a card into different folders, what I'm wishing for we'd touched on in a prior thread here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=2852.msg17471#msg17471 

I'm hoping in 4.6.2 that you'll add the {autoseqn} variable you had hinted was possible in that thread. In my case there are times in the field when I will have multiple or overlapping days images on a single card that need to be ingested later, after the shoot.  I need PM to ingest from a single card and create a unique folder for images shot across a span of days, then deposit them into their respective folder with a name including the date shot and a sequential number starting newly the with 0001 in each folder.

Sorry for any confusion and thanks for keeping such a close eye on the boards!

Brett
"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours."
Richard Bach, "ILLUSIONS"

Offline donh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 12:33:58 AM »
The two features I could really use is a seperate non modal preview window and being able to view the focus point, in that order.  My two cents worth.

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 02:06:45 PM »
I like the modal preview window.  Great on two monitors.  Don't mess with a good thing ... I say. :)