Author Topic: Support Nikon Coolscan NEF format  (Read 6137 times)

Offline Photog57

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Support Nikon Coolscan NEF format
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:02:29 AM »
Let me start with saying that I love PhotoMechanic !  Its a great piece of software!!

I just began a large project to scan several thousand old slides.  I have a Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED film scanner.  I scanned a number of rolls, saving the output as NEF.  I am aware (now) that the NEF format from NikonScan is different than the NEF format from Nikon cameras.

Imagine my shock and disappointment when I subsequently found that PhotoMechanic does not recognize the NEFs from NikonScan.   I am able to read these scanned NEFs with NikonScan, and with Capture NX2 (my primary editing software).

Do you have plans to allow PhotoMechanic to recognize the NikonScan NEFs ????????????   Please do so !!!

Is there a different scan program that has a NEF format recognized by PhotoMechanic ??

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Support Nikon Coolscan NEF format
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:14:07 AM »
Let me start with saying that I love PhotoMechanic !  Its a great piece of software!!

I just began a large project to scan several thousand old slides.  I have a Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED film scanner.  I scanned a number of rolls, saving the output as NEF.  I am aware (now) that the NEF format from NikonScan is different than the NEF format from Nikon cameras.

Imagine my shock and disappointment when I subsequently found that PhotoMechanic does not recognize the NEFs from NikonScan.   I am able to read these scanned NEFs with NikonScan, and with Capture NX2 (my primary editing software).

Do you have plans to allow PhotoMechanic to recognize the NikonScan NEFs ????????????   Please do so !!!

If the NEF file doesn't have an embedded JPEG preview (perhaps there is a setting in the scanner software that will enable embedding of a preview) then PM isn't going to be able to display it.

-Kirk

Offline Photog57

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 02:06:51 PM »
"If the NEF file doesn't have an embedded JPEG preview (perhaps there is a setting in the scanner software that will enable embedding of a preview) then PM isn't going to be able to display it."

I am able to view the scanned NEF files in Windows Explorer, and Capture NX2, as well as Nikon Scan.  Doesn't the fact that I can see them in Windows Explorer indicate that there are rendering instructions and a JPEG associated with the RAW (NEF) format?

I looked through NikonScan and couldn't find an option that seemed to allow one to embed / not embed a JPEG.

Thanks for your quick response

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 02:42:47 PM »
"If the NEF file doesn't have an embedded JPEG preview (perhaps there is a setting in the scanner software that will enable embedding of a preview) then PM isn't going to be able to display it."

I am able to view the scanned NEF files in Windows Explorer, and Capture NX2, as well as Nikon Scan.  Doesn't the fact that I can see them in Windows Explorer indicate that there are rendering instructions and a JPEG associated with the RAW (NEF) format?

No.  It is likely using Nikon's NEF plugin to do the rendering.  No embedded JPEG preview need be present for the WIC plugin.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 01:41:14 AM »
As a work around (seeing you have Capture NX2), you could "process" (no changes are necessary) the files in NX2. This will embed the jpg and you will be able to view them in PM.

Cheers.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl