Author Topic: option to "format after ingest" rather than delete all images  (Read 6510 times)

Offline xx91x

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I would like to see an option that formats my cards after they are successfully ingested. The option to delete images takes too long especially when working with a high volume of files. Formatting is much quicker and according to card manufacturer "Delkin" it is preferable to format rather than delete all images if you need to recover lost data later, but that is a bit off topic. Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: option to "format after ingest" rather than delete all images
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 11:19:29 PM »
I would like to see an option that formats my cards after they are successfully ingested. The option to delete images takes too long especially when working with a high volume of files. Formatting is much quicker and according to card manufacturer "Delkin" it is preferable to format rather than delete all images if you need to recover lost data later, but that is a bit off topic. Thanks

If it's a true format that you want, it is better to format in your camera since you're assured that the format of the disk (card) will be perfect for the camera.  Formatting the card on your computer does have the potential for incompatibility.

And since deleting does not imply overwriting the actual data (the blocks on disk) the ability to recover should be about the same.

-Kirk

Offline xx91x

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: option to "format after ingest" rather than delete all images
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 04:02:58 AM »
I format in my computer just fine and transfer the cards back to my 1DMarkII with no problems. I have tried your suggested method of formating in camera, however it would be preferable to format on the computer. The reason I would prefer a format is because it is quicker than the offered method of clearing the cards in PM.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but when PM is deleting the info from the cards, it locks up and I can not continue browsing through my contact sheets until it has finished deleting all the files. This alone makes the option to delete files in the program unattractive. I only mention the formatting option to speed up the hitch in the process.

I love the program. Keep up the great work! Thanks, Daniel