Author Topic: Thumbs library  (Read 12043 times)

Offline royfel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thumbs library
« on: August 01, 2006, 04:41:42 AM »
After futsing in Lightroom for a week I'm worn out.
I return to PM with the following simple suggestion. The "find" function in PM works just swell for everything I want to find. I ingest everything in folders based on ITPC dates and my file naming starts with the ITPC date.
I would like PM to have a 'automatic" small thumb maker that would install selected thumbs in one "Library" file.
Point the navagator at it, use find,   and I know that the image with "Bobby Smith,blacksmith" somewhere in the ITPC is in folder: 06JUL21.
I do all this stuff now: save as>fit to box=250 px> save in : c/Docs/Photo Library.
But a radio button to do it so I won't forget would be swell.
I realize you guys arn't in the DAM biz but I don't think this suggestion would be hard to impliment

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Thumbs library
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 07:42:27 AM »
Roy,

After futsing in Lightroom for a week I'm worn out.

How so?  What's wrong?

Quote from: royfel
I return to PM with the following simple suggestion. The "find" function in PM works just swell for everything I want to find. I ingest everything in folders based on ITPC dates and my file naming starts with the ITPC date.
I would like PM to have a 'automatic" small thumb maker that would install selected thumbs in one "Library" file.
Point the navagator at it, use find,   and I know that the image with "Bobby Smith,blacksmith" somewhere in the ITPC is in folder: 06JUL21.
I do all this stuff now: save as>fit to box=250 px> save in : c/Docs/Photo Library.
But a radio button to do it so I won't forget would be swell.

Where would this radio button appear?  In what dialog?  And wouldn't it be a checkbox instead of a radio button?

I realize you guys arn't in the DAM biz but I don't think this suggestion would be hard to impliment

Not yet at least...

Thanks for the feedback,

-Kirk

Offline royfel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 07:52:01 AM »
Lightroom- No way of seeing jpgs and raws in the same folder. My work flow is shoot raw, tag winners, convert to jpeg, put back in same folder, add itpc stuff to both files, transmit jpegs (thanks so much for sort>custom>jpeg+raw)
With raws created in LR there is no way to even see the jpegs if they are put back in the original folder much less caption and transmit.
Their tech response was: once in a while this comes up in a meeting, we haven't made a decision on what to do.

Radio button, check box or box in preferences any way that would be easiest.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 08:07:09 AM »
Roy,

Lightroom- No way of seeing jpgs and raws in the same folder. My work flow is shoot raw, tag winners, convert to jpeg, put back in same folder, add itpc stuff to both files, transmit jpegs (thanks so much for sort>custom>jpeg+raw)
With raws created in LR there is no way to even see the jpegs if they are put back in the original folder much less caption and transmit.
Their tech response was: once in a while this comes up in a meeting, we haven't made a decision on what to do.

Wow.  That's really all I can say.

Radio button, check box or box in preferences any way that would be easiest.

I guess I mean what tool would do the generation of these thumbnails?  Is this a new tool, or an add-on to a current tool/function?

-Kirk

Offline royfel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 08:35:58 AM »
Right now I can select and: FTP, E-Mail, Copy,Burn, Save as or add to Photo Shelter. I suppose I would like a "add to thumbs library"(perhgaps tuck it in: File>Export) which would create a thumb and put it in a place specified in preferences like E\(an external HD so I could move it around)\Docs\Photo Library.

Offline royfel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 08:50:31 AM »
To blither on just a little longer: I realize that many photographers have an elaborate system of collections, sub collections and the like (animal>bird>alaska>eagle>babyeagle).
But my day is: "the art department lost a file you did a year ago and that store is renewing the ad" When did I shoot it? "Last summer or Fall" Got the date? "No". <Now I am opening every file Aug-October> What was the name of the store? "Acme House of Blinds" Me: enter Acme into find dialog box, pointing it to Photo Library and finding out the the editor was wrong, I shot it on 02APR05 and it resides there in a folder titled 02ARR05.
If I need more detail than that I will invest in IMatch or Portfolio, but I really wonder how many do need more than that.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 08:53:42 AM by royfel »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 09:04:34 AM »
Roy,

Right now I can select and: FTP, E-Mail, Copy,Burn, Save as or add to Photo Shelter. I suppose I would like a "add to thumbs library"(perhgaps tuck it in: File>Export) which would create a thumb and put it in a place specified in preferences like E\(an external HD so I could move it around)\Docs\Photo Library.

I see.  Well, I think the destination would need to be chosen in the tool.  That way it is more accessible and relevant to the operation at hand.

What filenaming convention do you use?

-Kirk

Offline royfel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 09:56:24 AM »
Ingest folder:{iptcyear2}{iptcmonthname3}{iptcday0}
Ingest file name {iptcyear2}{iptcmonthname3}{iptcday0}{filename}