Author Topic: Small bug in structured keyword handling  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
Small bug in structured keyword handling
« on: August 14, 2009, 12:28:36 AM »
There seems to be a small bug or missing feature in the handling of the structured keyword. I use this to add some keywords (e.g. names) to the caption. It works really well. But when there is a caption already available a new added keyword is appended to the caption in ANY case seperated with the delimiter.

For example:
"This is a house"

now I add a keyword and the output is:
"This is a house, mother"

so far so good. BUT: when "This is a house" ends with a "." or a CR then the delimiter "," shouldn't be printed. The output is:
"This is a house.
, mother"

but should be
"This is a house.
mother"

I don't know whether this is a feature or a bug, but ot would be great when this should work.

Thanks,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Small bug in structured keyword handling
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 08:36:21 AM »
Lars,

There seems to be a small bug or missing feature in the handling of the structured keyword. I use this to add some keywords (e.g. names) to the caption. It works really well. But when there is a caption already available a new added keyword is appended to the caption in ANY case seperated with the delimiter.

For example:
"This is a house"

now I add a keyword and the output is:
"This is a house, mother"

so far so good. BUT: when "This is a house" ends with a "." or a CR then the delimiter "," shouldn't be printed. The output is:
"This is a house.
, mother"

but should be
"This is a house.
mother"

I don't know whether this is a feature or a bug, but ot would be great when this should work.

Keywords are not supposed to have text formatting information in them.  If you want formatted text you should use the Caption field.  Keywords are just an unordered list of terms when stored in IPTC and XMP.  There is no preservation of formatting.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 11:07:03 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I don't mean the formating of the keywords itself. What I was meaning is, that when I try to add keywords to an allready existing caption then always a delimiter is added after the existing caption text and before the keyword to be added even when the last character of the caption text is a CR/LF or a "."

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 01:02:07 PM »
Lars,

I don't mean the formating of the keywords itself. What I was meaning is, that when I try to add keywords to an allready existing caption then always a delimiter is added after the existing caption text and before the keyword to be added even when the last character of the caption text is a CR/LF or a "."

That is by design.  Keywords are just words.  Not sentences or paragraphs.  Just words.

If you want to delete the comma (or semicolon) you can, but then it won't be treated as two separate keywords, they will now be one keyword item.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 02:04:52 PM »
That is by design.  Keywords are just words.  Not sentences or paragraphs.  Just words.

If you want to delete the comma (or semicolon) you can, but then it won't be treated as two separate keywords, they will now be one keyword item.

Hi Kirk,

I really understand that keywords are just words. But maybe I haven't explaind very well my wish (sorry for my english). What I would like to see is that before a keyword is added to a caption via the structured keyword panel that PM checks whether the last charcater of the already existing caption text is a CR/LF or a "." and then not prepend a ",". I guess this has nothing to do with keywords or any formating of the keywords. It is just a bit of "formating" logic for the caption.

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 07:51:34 PM »
Lars,

I really understand that keywords are just words. But maybe I haven't explaind very well my wish (sorry for my english). What I would like to see is that before a keyword is added to a caption via the structured keyword panel that PM checks whether the last charcater of the already existing caption text is a CR/LF or a "." and then not prepend a ",". I guess this has nothing to do with keywords or any formating of the keywords. It is just a bit of "formating" logic for the caption.

I understand you now.  I may have a chance to add that logic when the destination is the Caption field from the Structured Keywords panel before we finalize 4.6.2.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 01:24:02 AM »
That sounds great! Thank you Kirk.

Lars