Author Topic: save some photo  (Read 7420 times)

Offline baila71

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
save some photo
« on: August 21, 2009, 08:02:45 AM »
Hi, I'm new in this forum and I have very problem with english.
Exscuse me for this.
I've a big trouble with PHOTOMECANIC.
When I use it  to archive my photo in an external storage unit, a lot
of photo appear damaged and unusable.
I've the last version of Photomecanic.
How can I solve this problem?
I use a new iMac 24" with last leopard 10.5.8
Best regards

Alessandro

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: save some photo
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 08:19:30 AM »
Alessandro,

Hi, I'm new in this forum and I have very problem with english.
Exscuse me for this.
I've a big trouble with PHOTOMECANIC.
When I use it  to archive my photo in an external storage unit, a lot
of photo appear damaged and unusable.
I've the last version of Photomecanic.
How can I solve this problem?
I use a new iMac 24" with last leopard 10.5.8

Is there some issue with your external storage unit?  What happens if you save your images to your internal storage unit (hard drive)?

-Kirk

Offline baila71

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 03:20:08 AM »
Thank Kirk....I try to explain.
I'm a newspaper's photographer and after a work, I use Photomechanic to archives a photo in some folder. Sport in sport folder, political man in folder A or B or C...... etc.
The photos are in compact flash. Some in JPG some in Raw ( the error is indifferent mode: jpeg or raw ).
Whith Photomecanic, I selected some photos ( whith my iMac 24" 2,93 GHz intel Core 2 Duo and 4 GB DDR3 ), click cmd+I to insert the infofile, click cmd+S to save in the
unit storage where are fix the folder ( 4Big quadra Lacie raid 5. This HD, I call it "quadra", is connected in eSata in another computer and view it like a HD but..... with XP. I see "quadra" in the internal network.
I verifyed this error also I worked to XP from XP in old version to Photomecanic.
But when I tryed it, I worked only with XP and I used Acdsee to archives.
I understand that my English is vary bad...... I hope that you understand all the same.
Alessandro ( Modena, Italy )
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 01:01:03 AM by baila71 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 06:54:13 AM »
Alessandro,

Thank Kirk....I try to explain.
I'm a newspaper's photographer and after a work, I use Photomatix to archives a photo in some folder. Sport in sport folder, political man in folder A or B or C...... etc.
The photos are in compact flash. Some in JPG some in Raw ( the error is indifferent mode: jpeg or raw ).
Whith Photomecanic, I selected some photos ( whith my iMac 24" 2,93 GHz intel Core 2 Duo and 4 GB DDR3 ), click cmd+I to insert the infofile, click cmd+S to save in the
unit storage where are fix the folder ( 4Big quadra Lacie raid 5. This HD, I call it "quadra", is connected in eSata in another computer and view it like a HD but..... with XP. I see "quadra" in the internal network.
I verifyed this error also I worked to XP from XP in old version to Photomecanic.
But when I tryed it, I worked only with XP and I used Acdsee to archives.

OK, so your destination folder is on a networked drive that is running some Windows file system like FAT32 or NTFS.  That shouldn't be a problem, but maybe you could try my earlier suggestion just to test my theory: try saving to your iMac's internal hard drive to see if the results change.

Otherwise, unless you need to resize your photos or add watermarks, you don't need to use Save as.  Just use the Copy photos command or if you want to, you can even use the Finder to copy your images to their final destination.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline baila71

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:27:31 AM »
Tank a lot Mr Kirk....
so..... the network is FAT32. The same problem ( to rename the file and save it with Ctrl+S ) I had in th past when I worked with only Windows and I shelved the photos in an internal HD.
Same file was unuseble. If you want, I send you this file.
Photomechanic read this file: Unsupported format variant.
But in the same compact flash and same reportage, a few image are readable, some not.
Is a bag???? Where I make a mistake?!?!?
If I use Lightroom 2.5, I haven't this problem but........ Lightroom....... is very slow to use for to shelve.
Alessandro
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 01:02:36 AM by baila71 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 09:30:19 AM »
Alessandro,

Tank a lot Mr Kirk....
so..... the network is FAT32. The same problem ( to rename the file and save it with Ctrl+S ) I had in th past when I worked with only Windows and I shelved the photos in an internal HD.
Same file was unuseble. If you want, I send you this file.
Photomatix read this file: Unsupported format variant.
But in the same compact flash and same reportage, a few image are readable, some not.
Is a bag???? Where I make a mistake?!?!?
If I use Lightroom 2.5, I haven't this problem but........ Lightroom....... is very slow to use for to shelve.

If the unmodified images on the card have problems, then there is one likely problem: your CF card is going bad.  CF cards do have a finite service life.  They do wear out.  Stop using that card and use a new one instead.

-Kirk

Offline baila71

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 09:35:55 AM »
Every images I modified before to insert in archive. But...... I try to change my card. I'm not understan why same card with Lightroom work and with Photomechanic don't work.
Alessandro

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 11:24:54 AM »
Alessandro,

Every images I modified before to insert in archive. But...... I try to change my card. I'm not understan why same card with Lightroom work and with Photomechanic don't work.

Are you modifying the photos on the card?  If so, never ever do that.  They're your only copy unless you have downloaded them already.

-Kirk

Offline baila71

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »
YES...... I modifying the photos on the card because I write the infofile and rename the file on the card......... withtout any doubt, this is my error.
Now, I try without modifyng nothing. Can I write you if the problem doesn't resolve?!?!?!? Photomechanic is the most important thing for my job.
Tank Mr Kirk. Tank a lot.
Alessandro

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 04:18:33 PM »
Alessandro,

YES...... I modifying the photos on the card because I write the infofile and rename the file on the card......... withtout any doubt, this is my error.
Now, I try without modifyng nothing. Can I write you if the problem doesn't resolve?!?!?!? Photomechanic is the most important thing for my job.

Yes you can write back.

You should also look into using the Ingest function in Photo Mechanic to download your images to your hard drive.  Ingest can even make a backup of the photos as they're downloaded.

-Kirk

Offline baila71

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 03:26:45 AM »
Good morning Mr Kirk.
I have performed his instructions to the letter. I have copied the photos in the card on the hard disk of the iMac with "ingest". I had modifyed same photos in the HD, I had reneme and inserted the IPTC and to end, with Cmd+s I saved in storage unit. One photo on 88 that I have saved, it results illegible in the unity of storage where I file the photos and as I have previously explained his. I don't know thing anymore to do.
Alessandro

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 06:33:41 AM »
Alessandro,

Good morning Mr Kirk.
I have performed his instructions to the letter. I have copied the photos in the card on the hard disk of the iMac with "ingest". I had modifyed same photos in the HD, I had reneme and inserted the IPTC and to end, with Cmd+s I saved in storage unit. One photo on 88 that I have saved, it results illegible in the unity of storage where I file the photos and as I have previously explained his. I don't know thing anymore to do.

Can you send me this file that has problems?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk