Author Topic: Question regarding RAW files  (Read 9157 times)

Offline seagreen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Question regarding RAW files
« on: July 28, 2006, 01:15:36 PM »
I'm using the latest Demo of Photo Mechanic lured here by the promise of speedier previews which seems to be true.  :)

However, there is one issue that may be a deal killer.  I can look at the thumbnail previews of the RAW files (which is fine) but if I click on one I'd like to see larger to check whether it is *really* an OK image, I get what looks like a pixilated blownup thumbnail image.  Will PM not show me a larger view of the RAW file?

It works fine on JPG files just not on the RAW files.

I'm on Windows XP SP2; RAW files are from a Nikon D1x camera.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Question regarding RAW files
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 01:55:25 PM »
I'm using the latest Demo of Photo Mechanic lured here by the promise of speedier previews which seems to be true.  :)

However, there is one issue that may be a deal killer.  I can look at the thumbnail previews of the RAW files (which is fine) but if I click on one I'd like to see larger to check whether it is *really* an OK image, I get what looks like a pixilated blownup thumbnail image.  Will PM not show me a larger view of the RAW file?

It works fine on JPG files just not on the RAW files.

I'm on Windows XP SP2; RAW files are from a Nikon D1x camera.

The D1x only has a very small preview contained within it.  Because PM does not render RAW files on Windows XP, it can only show this small preview.  If you use Nikon's NPrevCreator3 utility, you can have it generate much larger previews in your D1x NEF files.  This can be done in a batch and really increases the value of your D1x NEFs since so much more can be done with them once they have large previews.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline seagreen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 02:20:25 PM »
Thank you - I'll check into that.

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 05:02:02 AM »
Hi,

FWIW Nikon Capture NX can embed fullsize previews into any NEF camera file. Previous versions and the Nikon Large Preview Creator could only embed up to 1024 pixel previews.

Obviously these tools change the NEF so test on some disposable images with all your applications.

-- Robert.