Author Topic: Reconfiguring "Open with..." choices in launch preferences  (Read 3481 times)

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
Reconfiguring "Open with..." choices in launch preferences
« on: August 24, 2009, 06:56:05 AM »
I am having trouble removing entries from the "Open with..." choices in the contact sheet that are configured in the "Assign Specific Application to File Type" in the Launching preferences.  I have removed the entry for CS3, added one for CS4 and removed another application that I don't use any more from the launching preferences.  However, when I use the menu on an image in the contact sheet, the old entries are still there.  I have two Photoshop entries, one for CS3 and one for CS4, and I have a mental block for which is the one I really want, so I am constantly launching CS3 by mistake.  Is this a bug or is there something else I need to do to clean up the launch menu?

In case it matters, this is on 64-bit Vista using PM 4.6.1, but I have seen this problem since the later versions of 4.5.  I just got a new laptop, but it is also set up with 64-bit Vista, so I don't have a different OS to try this on.

Danny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Reconfiguring "Open with..." choices in launch preferences
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 06:35:01 AM »
Danny,

I am having trouble removing entries from the "Open with..." choices in the contact sheet that are configured in the "Assign Specific Application to File Type" in the Launching preferences.  I have removed the entry for CS3, added one for CS4 and removed another application that I don't use any more from the launching preferences.  However, when I use the menu on an image in the contact sheet, the old entries are still there.  I have two Photoshop entries, one for CS3 and one for CS4, and I have a mental block for which is the one I really want, so I am constantly launching CS3 by mistake.  Is this a bug or is there something else I need to do to clean up the launch menu?

In case it matters, this is on 64-bit Vista using PM 4.6.1, but I have seen this problem since the later versions of 4.5.  I just got a new laptop, but it is also set up with 64-bit Vista, so I don't have a different OS to try this on.

I don't know of any other way to clear out the menu than what you've tried.  If you go back into the dialog box that allows you to configure your editors, do the old selections continue to show up there as well?

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 04:03:53 PM »
No, I only see one entry for Photoshop.exe and I no longer see the application I removed.

Danny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 04:22:11 PM »
Danny,

No, I only see one entry for Photoshop.exe and I no longer see the application I removed.

Do you have anything assigned as the default application to edit photos?  Or are you letting Windows decide?

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 07:07:50 PM »
That was it.  I had configured PSD to open with Photoshop.  When I removed that setting, the extra Photoshop entry in the Open With menu went away.  Thanks for being persistent.

Danny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 08:02:55 PM »
Danny,

That was it.  I had configured PSD to open with Photoshop.  When I removed that setting, the extra Photoshop entry in the Open With menu went away.  Thanks for being persistent.

Thanks for following up.  Now I don't have to investigate the code for bugs ;)

-Kirk