Author Topic: Preserve IPTC through "Save for Web"?  (Read 5497 times)

Offline rcurtis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Preserve IPTC through "Save for Web"?
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
After using a Photoshop "save for web" batch action, I've now got a couple hundred captionless images that I need to upload to our blog site.

Is there a way to carry over some of the caption information from the original files after a using Photoshop's save for web? The filenames of the web versions are the same as the captioned, full-res versions. I wonder if anyone has come across an automation that:

-evaluates the filenames of two folders of images (captioned hi-res vs. uncaptioned low-res)
-pairs files of captioned and captionless files
-copies selected IPTC field(s) from one image to the another with the ability to transpose them

Is there a way to get Photo Mechanic to do this? Or, if there is an easier workflow that avoids this situation entirely, I'd be grateful to hear about it. Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Preserve IPTC through "Save for Web"?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:44:01 AM »
After using a Photoshop "save for web" batch action, I've now got a couple hundred captionless images that I need to upload to our blog site.

Is there a way to carry over some of the caption information from the original files after a using Photoshop's save for web? The filenames of the web versions are the same as the captioned, full-res versions. I wonder if anyone has come across an automation that:

-evaluates the filenames of two folders of images (captioned hi-res vs. uncaptioned low-res)
-pairs files of captioned and captionless files
-copies selected IPTC field(s) from one image to the another with the ability to transpose them

Is there a way to get Photo Mechanic to do this? Or, if there is an easier workflow that avoids this situation entirely, I'd be grateful to hear about it. Thanks!

Is there something special about this 'save for web' batch action that you couldn't just do it in Photo Mechanic's Save As dialog?  It can preserve your captions.

-Kirk

Offline rcurtis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 11:34:56 AM »
I always assumed that PS applied some NASA strength algorithm to get the smallest image size possible for good web presentation. That's the only reason I use it. I always dread taking the PM "image quality" slider down the scale.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:09:08 PM »
I always assumed that PS applied some NASA strength algorithm to get the smallest image size possible for good web presentation. That's the only reason I use it. I always dread taking the PM "image quality" slider down the scale.

JPEG compression is JPEG compression.  I don't think there is any rocket science that can be applied on top of it.  Why not just try it and see what kind of results you can get from PM?  You may just save yourself a lot of time...

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 11:41:46 PM »
I don't know about PS's save for web I don't use it, but PM has the great option to set the desired size of the output photos. Unfortunately it works only roughly sometimes resulting greatly larger filesizes. It would be great to improve this as I often have filesize limitations on uploads and it happens I have 200 kb limit. I set PM to produce 150 kb images and the output still doesn't fit the limit.

Otherwise I almost use PM for all of my save as things. If there would be a rotate crop I wouldn't think of using PS in the most of the cases.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com