Author Topic: PhotoMechanic beach ball issues...  (Read 2635 times)

Offline brita

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PhotoMechanic beach ball issues...
« on: August 25, 2009, 08:17:50 PM »
Hello there,
I am having massive problems with PhotoMechanic 4.6.1 essentially locking up. When I am ingesting from my Compact Flash reader, I get the spinning beach ball with the "sorting" message and can no longer caption, review in preview or even scroll through the contact sheet in any workable fashion. I can't change to a second contact sheet, either, if I have one open. Once everything finally appears in the contact sheet, even doing any kind of command or action — including picking a menu item — also causes the beach ball to appear.
This problem first appeared when I was trying to file photos under deadline on Sunday night. Typically I am able to preview, caption, etc. photos already ingested onto my computer WHILE I am ingesting another card of photos. I could not do any captioning or anything until an entire card of images had been ingested. And then the response time was just painful. And it still is!
Basically, something is causing PhotoMechanic to just fall to its knees.
I have quit and restarted PhotoMechanic numerous times. I have rebooted the entire computer several times. I have force quit PhotoMechanic and restarted it. I have thrown out all my PhotoMechanic preferences, including the p-list, as well as deleted the actual application and reinstalled it, but am still having issues.  I am running Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a MacBook Air with a 1.86 Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB of RAM and 113 GB Solid State Drive with 32 GB of free space available.
Any assistance, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated on what I can do to get PhotoMechanic working again.
Thanks,
Brita

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PhotoMechanic beach ball issues...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 08:59:08 PM »
Brita,

I am having massive problems with PhotoMechanic 4.6.1 essentially locking up. When I am ingesting from my Compact Flash reader, I get the spinning beach ball with the "sorting" message and can no longer caption, review in preview or even scroll through the contact sheet in any workable fashion. I can't change to a second contact sheet, either, if I have one open. Once everything finally appears in the contact sheet, even doing any kind of command or action — including picking a menu item — also causes the beach ball to appear.
This problem first appeared when I was trying to file photos under deadline on Sunday night. Typically I am able to preview, caption, etc. photos already ingested onto my computer WHILE I am ingesting another card of photos. I could not do any captioning or anything until an entire card of images had been ingested. And then the response time was just painful. And it still is!
Basically, something is causing PhotoMechanic to just fall to its knees.
I have quit and restarted PhotoMechanic numerous times. I have rebooted the entire computer several times. I have force quit PhotoMechanic and restarted it. I have thrown out all my PhotoMechanic preferences, including the p-list, as well as deleted the actual application and reinstalled it, but am still having issues.  I am running Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a MacBook Air with a 1.86 Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB of RAM and 113 GB Solid State Drive with 32 GB of free space available.
Any assistance, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated on what I can do to get PhotoMechanic working again.

Can you contact me privately with your phone number and a best time to call?  I'd be happy to troubleshoot the issue with you over the phone.

Click on my name to the left of this message and then click on the 'personal message link'.

-Kirk