Author Topic: Ingest of .mov files from 5D  (Read 4126 times)

Offline jbrownphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingest of .mov files from 5D
« on: August 26, 2009, 07:21:33 PM »
Hey guys,

this might be already possible or might also have been covered before, but I am trying to figure out a better workflow for ingesting my video files from my 5D.

Here is my setup
Canon 5D Mark II
Mac Pro Nehalem w 10.5.8 and 16GB of RAM
Photo Mechanic 4.6.1
Internal RAID 0 array
External DROBO partitioned in 2 parts (one for photos and the other for video)
Using Aperture 2.1.3
Using iMovie and FCP

Anyway, for now I have it set up to ingest into my working RAID 0 and also into my secondary DROBO as a backup. I love Photo Mechanics speed and metadata options which is why I use it instead of Aperture for ingesting. Once they are copied and I cull out the garbage, I import them into Aperture leaving them in their current location as referenced files.

Now as far as videos go, I would like to be able to be able to not only tell them to go to a potentially different location, but also name them in a different sequence. Right now they just all get ingested with the rest of the RAW files and named sequentially with the photos, I just want to put them in a different directory.

thanks,
joshua

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest of .mov files from 5D
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 08:21:37 PM »
joshua,

this might be already possible or might also have been covered before, but I am trying to figure out a better workflow for ingesting my video files from my 5D.

Here is my setup
Canon 5D Mark II
Mac Pro Nehalem w 10.5.8 and 16GB of RAM
Photo Mechanic 4.6.1
Internal RAID 0 array
External DROBO partitioned in 2 parts (one for photos and the other for video)
Using Aperture 2.1.3
Using iMovie and FCP

Anyway, for now I have it set up to ingest into my working RAID 0 and also into my secondary DROBO as a backup. I love Photo Mechanics speed and metadata options which is why I use it instead of Aperture for ingesting. Once they are copied and I cull out the garbage, I import them into Aperture leaving them in their current location as referenced files.

Now as far as videos go, I would like to be able to be able to not only tell them to go to a potentially different location, but also name them in a different sequence. Right now they just all get ingested with the rest of the RAW files and named sequentially with the photos, I just want to put them in a different directory.

There isn't a really simple way to do this.  You could use {variables} along with Code Replacement to cause different folders to be created, but your renaming string will be harder to achieve.  First you would have to find out the values for each of the image types you ingest.  You could do this by adding the following to your Info Text (Edit->Settings->Set Info Text...):

Type: "{type}"

Then view one of each image type in the Preview window, making note of what letters appear between the quotes.  Then you could create a Code Replacement text file with each of the type strings, followed with a replacement that would be used for your directory paths:

JPEG [tab] photo
CCR2 [tab] photo
MooV [tab] video

Then you'd load up this text file into the Code Replacement dialog. (Edit->Settings->Set Code Replacements...)
Next you'd use Code Replacement in your Folder naming in the Ingest dialog:

/some/path/\{type}\/project/name

Basically you'd put \{type}\ wherever you want the word 'photo' or 'video' to appear in your path.

I can try to make suggestions for the File naming if you'd give me an example of your renaming strategy.

HTH,

-Kirk