Author Topic: Contact sheets as jpeg?  (Read 6662 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
Contact sheets as jpeg?
« on: December 11, 2009, 01:39:44 AM »
Hello,

is there any way to save a contact sheet as a single (sequence) JPEG? ...or a print to jpeg file?

Thanks,
Lars

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Contact sheets as jpeg?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 05:49:29 AM »
What do you mean with single (sequence) jpg? A JPG can only contain one image, perhaps you mean something like an animated gif?

I'm not aware of any software that allows you to "print" to jpg but (if you're on Mac at least), you are able to print to pdf so perhaps this is a solution to you?

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 07:08:56 AM »
What do you mean with single (sequence) jpg? A JPG can only contain one image, perhaps you mean something like an animated gif?

I'm not aware of any software that allows you to "print" to jpg but (if you're on Mac at least), you are able to print to pdf so perhaps this is a solution to you?

I'm wondering if it is possible to print/save a contact sheet with PM, like Lightroom an other similar programs are able to do. In other words: print a sheets with e.g. 5x4 images per page.

regards,
Lars

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 07:43:09 AM »
Hi Lars,

Ah, yes. Now I fully understand. The answer is that PM currently does not support this. If you want this, you could probably best post a request for this in the Feature Requests forum.

As I mentioned, what you can do now, is to "print" to PDF instead. If you're on a Mac OS X, this option is available for each print job so no special software is required.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 07:43:26 AM »

I'm wondering if it is possible to print/save a contact sheet with PM, like Lightroom an other similar programs are able to do. In other words: print a sheets with e.g. 5x4 images per page.

Photo Mechanic does not have the ability to print contact sheets as a large JPEG image.  The feature has been requested before.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 08:41:45 AM »
Photo Mechanic does not have the ability to print contact sheets as a large JPEG image.  The feature has been requested before.

Hi Kirk,

thanks for your feedback. I haven't seen this request before... It would be nice to have this feature, because I often need to send some clients these kind of contact sheets. Wouldn't it easy to integrate it into the "Print" menu? I haven't tried it yet, but I guess the print function is able to generate these kind of sheets and send them to the printer or to that ".pm" format - so it should be "only" necessary to print to JPEG file...

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 08:59:41 AM »
Lars,

thanks for your feedback. I haven't seen this request before... It would be nice to have this feature, because I often need to send some clients these kind of contact sheets. Wouldn't it easy to integrate it into the "Print" menu? I haven't tried it yet, but I guess the print function is able to generate these kind of sheets and send them to the printer or to that ".pm" format - so it should be "only" necessary to print to JPEG file...

Completely different code to render into a bitmap versus printing into a printing context.  At the highest level they are very similar.  At the point where text and images are rendered, the code would be very different.  There is much more to writing software than adding a menu item to a menu. ;)

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 06:21:04 AM »
Completely different code to render into a bitmap versus printing into a printing context.  At the highest level they are very similar.  At the point where text and images are rendered, the code would be very different.  There is much more to writing software than adding a menu item to a menu. ;)

Kirk,

but when you already have a bitmap - isn't there any possibility to convert this bitmap to jpeg or any other image formats (without re-rendering)?

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 08:15:57 AM »
Lars,

but when you already have a bitmap - isn't there any possibility to convert this bitmap to jpeg or any other image formats (without re-rendering)?

But a printed contact sheet is made up of headers, footers, thumbnails, and thumbnail text.  They would have to be rendered into a bitmap instead of a printing context and then the composite bitmap would need to be saved out as a JPEG.

It's just not as simple as it sounds.

-Kirk

Offline rswinter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 10:29:02 PM »
Here's a round-about way If you are running Vista and MS Office... (Probably also on XP/Win7)

You should have the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer "printer" installed by default.  

You can print to that "printer" as an .MDI file (I assume this is a MS proprietary format), but the reader they include allows conversion to a TIF.  I've had hit and miss with NX2 or PM recognizing the TIF file created by MS's MDI application, but it does work on occasion...

There's also the "PDFCreator" printer out there that you can print the contact sheet directly into a PDF file as others have mentioned...

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 10:31:54 PM by rswinter »