Author Topic: structured keyword panel feature request(s)  (Read 8626 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
structured keyword panel feature request(s)
« on: August 24, 2009, 08:40:38 AM »
Hi,

is it possible to tell PM that it should change or clear a selection inside the structured keyword panel when the image has been changed, automatically?

I really like the structures keyword panel but is very annoying that I allways have to clear the "collection" field with this clear button when I select another image. Usually another image will contain other keywords too, so it would be more inuitive that the "collection" will be cleared automatically (or the behaviour can could be controlled be any option).

Greetings,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: structured keyword panel feature request(s)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 08:45:55 AM »
Lars,

is it possible to tell PM that it should change or clear a selection inside the structured keyword panel when the image has been changed, automatically?

I really like the structures keyword panel but is very annoying that I allways have to clear the "collection" field with this clear button when I select another image. Usually another image will contain other keywords too, so it would be more inuitive that the "collection" will be cleared automatically (or the behaviour can could be controlled be any option).

The collection does not contain any of the keywords in the selected photos.  So you want a checkbox (perhaps) that would cause the collection to clear out each time the contact sheet selection changed?  Currently the contact sheet does not communicate anything to the Structured Keywords panel.  Instead, the Structured Keywords panel 'asks' the current Contact Sheet for its selected items when it needs to know.  It would be easy to add a checkbox that would clear the collection each time it is applied, but that may also bring frustration.

Right now, what you're asking to be able to do is not at all simple to implement.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 03:07:39 AM »
Kirk,

I guess the best solution would be that the structured keyword panel would communicate with the "image" and would show the current caption content or the already assigned keywords (depending on user's value of the "Apply to:" field). That would be the best solution and the real benefit would be that a user could use the IPTC Stationary pad only once for the "general values" and the structured keyword panel for the image "personalization".

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 06:39:06 AM »
Lars,

I guess the best solution would be that the structured keyword panel would communicate with the "image" and would show the current caption content or the already assigned keywords (depending on user's value of the "Apply to:" field). That would be the best solution and the real benefit would be that a user could use the IPTC Stationary pad only once for the "general values" and the structured keyword panel for the image "personalization".

The problem with a feature like that is that it would only work properly when a single photo is selected.  When two (or more) photos are selected, then a single text field couldn't show the keywords in each photo unless all of the selected photos had the exact same set of keywords.

So it would be confusing for people to have certain capabilities of the Structured Keywords panel only function dependent on the number of selected photos.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 03:34:20 AM »

Lars,

The problem with a feature like that is that it would only work properly when a single photo is selected.  When two (or more) photos are selected, then a single text field couldn't show the keywords in each photo unless all of the selected photos had the exact same set of keywords.

So it would be confusing for people to have certain capabilities of the Structured Keywords panel only function dependent on the number of selected photos.

-Kirk

you are right, that could be a problem. But what would happen, when you would embed the structured panel anywhere inside the IPTC panel (i-Button) of the single image?
Let's make a "real life" example: when I go e.g. to a pressconference I will create a more or less general caption. But my agency expects that I also write the names of the persons and their functions and something like that into the caption as well. So usually I prepare such a date in that way, that I create a "keyword hierarchy" (like: Politics->National->Department->Name etc.). Then I use the structured panel to add these hierarchy to my caption - and it works pretty good. But unfortunatly by the current design it is not really comfortable. Because I can't see what's already written in the caption when I switch between different images. So a bit better solution would be really great.

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 06:30:35 AM »
Lars,

-Kirk

you are right, that could be a problem. But what would happen, when you would embed the structured panel anywhere inside the IPTC panel (i-Button) of the single image?
Let's make a "real life" example: when I go e.g. to a pressconference I will create a more or less general caption. But my agency expects that I also write the names of the persons and their functions and something like that into the caption as well. So usually I prepare such a date in that way, that I create a "keyword hierarchy" (like: Politics->National->Department->Name etc.). Then I use the structured panel to add these hierarchy to my caption - and it works pretty good. But unfortunatly by the current design it is not really comfortable. Because I can't see what's already written in the caption when I switch between different images. So a bit better solution would be really great.

If you're going to create a base set that would apply to all images in your shoot then why not use the IPTC Stationery Pad to create the base set of keywords and then apply them to all of your images?  Then you could append the individual keywords with the Structured Keywords panel to your photos, knowing that your base set is already there.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 06:42:58 AM »
Kirk,

If you're going to create a base set that would apply to all images in your shoot then why not use the IPTC Stationery Pad to create the base set of keywords and then apply them to all of your images?  Then you could append the individual keywords with the Structured Keywords panel to your photos, knowing that your base set is already there.

that's because I need the feature to add keywords (and synonyms) to the caption. Unfortunatly, my agencies (e.g. AP or Reuters) do not accept keywords, only. So it is required to put all words usually used as "keywords" for cataloging are frully written in the caption ;-(

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 07:23:47 AM »
Lars,

that's because I need the feature to add keywords (and synonyms) to the caption. Unfortunatly, my agencies (e.g. AP or Reuters) do not accept keywords, only. So it is required to put all words usually used as "keywords" for cataloging are frully written in the caption ;-(

It sounds like if the IPTC Stationery Pad could bring up the Structured Keywords dialog and have its output placed into the Caption field then that would work well for you?

In the meantime, you could always cut and paste from the Keywords field to the Caption field...

-Kirk