Author Topic: Search by aperture value?  (Read 4115 times)

Offline kobold

• View Profile
    • foto-kobold.de
Search by aperture value?
« on: August 29, 2009, 01:26:23 AM »
Hi All,

tried to find all images taken with aperture f=4. I can't find a solution within PM. Do I overlook the feature or is it just missing?
PM 4.6.x, Mac OS X 10.5.8

Thanx for any hint

Klaus

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Search by aperture value?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 06:44:51 AM »
Klaus,

tried to find all images taken with aperture f=4. I can't find a solution within PM. Do I overlook the feature or is it just missing?

There is no way to do that in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline Citizenzoltan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:52:12 AM »
Hi There,

Just to follow up on this old post - Is there a way by now to add "aperture" to the search criteria the same way I can do with OSX 10.6.7 ?

I'm new to PM so sorry of I'm asking something silly but I don't see why I cannot search by the same list of variables in the File/Search dialog box as I can when I set up the contact sheet label or the preview info box. PM uses a consistent list of "variables" except for the "search" function. Any reason for that? This puts huge limitations to PM's ability to screen by a large (yet relevant) number of criteria and save them as "self refreshing" smart folders as OSX and Apple's aperture offer in a blink of a second. Is that something to expect in future versions of PM?

Other than my previous two posts (on the lack of showing clipped areas and displaying subject distance in the EXIF), PM is a fantastic application - well done!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:20:04 AM »
Hi There,

Just to follow up on this old post - Is there a way by now to add "aperture" to the search criteria the same way I can do with OSX 10.6.7 ?

I'm new to PM so sorry of I'm asking something silly but I don't see why I cannot search by the same list of variables in the File/Search dialog box as I can when I set up the contact sheet label or the preview info box. PM uses a consistent list of "variables" except for the "search" function. Any reason for that? This puts huge limitations to PM's ability to screen by a large (yet relevant) number of criteria and save them as "self refreshing" smart folders as OSX and Apple's aperture offer in a blink of a second. Is that something to expect in future versions of PM?

Other than my previous two posts (on the lack of showing clipped areas and displaying subject distance in the EXIF), PM is a fantastic application - well done!

The Search panel uses Spotlight technology.  We are limited to providing searches on the keys that are indexed by Spotlight.  I haven't checked recently to see if any new keys have been added for images.  Perhaps there are some new ones.

Our cataloging feature will be able to do these searches quite quickly and it won't rely on Spotlight.  And before you ask, I don't know when the cataloging feature will be released.

-Kirk

Offline Citizenzoltan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 12:01:08 PM »
Thanks for the quick response, all is clear. Until the cataloging feature is introduced maybe you could see if you can add new keys to PM search (like aperture) which have been added to spotlight since your last update. Would be appreciated as an intermediate solution. Thanks, Zoltan

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 05:27:16 AM »

Hi Klaus,

If you sort the contact sheet on aperture, the ones that are shot at f/4 will be easily found (and grouped together).

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl