Author Topic: Possible 10.6 issue? Delays in deleting files  (Read 7692 times)

Offline fgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Possible 10.6 issue? Delays in deleting files
« on: August 30, 2009, 06:41:11 AM »
Hi,

I am running 10.6 on a quadcore Mac Pro 2.66 which I upgraded to yesterday. As a frequent user of Photomechanic I have noticed that I am getting the spinning beachball when I am deleting large groups of raw photos in PM. I have been editing down older shoots over the last couple of days (so putting the new OS on the computer was a perfect excuse for a break) and I noticed a considerable delay in deleting photos (selecting all the unrated images and then trashing them) on 10.6 vs doing it earlier in the day on 10.5.8

I am deleting anywhere from 20-200 images at a time... the delay does not seem to differ on the number of files being deleted. These are mostly 5D MlII files.

I have repaired permissions, restarted, etc. but I am seeing a delay of up to 15-20 seconds to delete images compared to instant deletion (deletiion = moving to the trash in both cases) before. And I am running ver 4.6.1 of PM.

Hope this is of some help. So far this is the only hiccup I've seen.

Fred
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 06:43:29 AM by fgphoto »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Possible 10.6 issue? Delays in deleting files
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 06:56:41 AM »
Fred,

I am running 10.6 on a quadcore Mac Pro 2.66 which I upgraded to yesterday. As a frequent user of Photomechanic I have noticed that I am getting the spinning beachball when I am deleting large groups of raw photos in PM. I have been editing down older shoots over the last couple of days (so putting the new OS on the computer was a perfect excuse for a break) and I noticed a considerable delay in deleting photos (selecting all the unrated images and then trashing them) on 10.6 vs doing it earlier in the day on 10.5.8

I am deleting anywhere from 20-200 images at a time... the delay does not seem to differ on the number of files being deleted. These are mostly 5D MlII files.

I have repaired permissions, restarted, etc. but I am seeing a delay of up to 15-20 seconds to delete images compared to instant deletion (deletiion = moving to the trash in both cases) before. And I am running ver 4.6.1 of PM.

Hope this is of some help. So far this is the only hiccup I've seen.

Do you have PM set to move photos to the Trash when deleting?

-Kirk

Offline fgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:20:37 PM »
Yes, so that if I mess up and delete the wrong thing... I can get it right back again.

--Fred

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 07:43:36 PM »
Fred,

Yes, so that if I mess up and delete the wrong thing... I can get it right back again.

Photo Mechanic tells the Finder to move the files to the Trash via AppleEvents.  I'd guess that 10.6 makes some of that slower in some way.  I'll try to find an alternative way of moving the files to the Trash.

-Kirk

Offline fgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 10:40:55 PM »
Thanks for looking into this! I also noticed a similar delay at the end of ingesting a card before it automatically un-mounts, the spinning beachball shows up for anywhere from 5-15 seconds before the card is un-mounted.  It always un-mounts successfully, but I never had this happen in 10.5

Again, thanks for your attention on this!!

--Fred

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
    • Hotel Resort Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 10:55:55 AM »
I also noticed a similar delay at the end of ingesting a card before it automatically un-mounts, the spinning beachball shows up for anywhere from 5-15 seconds before the card is un-mounted.  It always un-mounts successfully, but I never had this happen in 10.

Just to say I have exact same problem with card un-mount (but not deleting)
With PM usually being so fast 10-15 seconds of frozen program & beachball  seems like an age (especially as I was showing a client who said he hated Macs ! )  BTW this is a compliment that PM is usually brilliant, not a moan.  :)

Steve

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 11:19:08 AM »
Also forgot to say that on emptying the trash I am now getting an alert that my file is still in use. (This is very selective applying to some files, but not to all, that I have trashed) These cannot be trashed & remain in the trash folder until after a re-start. I am using no other program in relation to these files (though it is possible I did a preview using the OS with the space bar) so it must be that Snow Leopard thinks that PM still has some kind of a 'hold' on the file. Screenshot of alert attached.

Steve

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 11:27:12 AM »
Steve,

Also forgot to say that on emptying the trash I am now getting an alert that my file is still in use. (This is very selective applying to some files, but not to all, that I have trashed) These cannot be trashed & remain in the trash folder until after a re-start. I am using no other program in relation to these files (though it is possible I did a preview using the OS with the space bar) so it must be that Snow Leopard thinks that PM still has some kind of a 'hold' on the file. Screenshot of alert attached.

PM doesn't keep files open, not even cache files or its PM.log file.  Something else must have the file open.

-Kirk

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 11:30:17 AM »
Well that is really weird because I really didn't have any other program open   ???

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 02:59:12 PM »
Steve,

Well that is really weird because I really didn't have any other program open   ???

You did have the Finder open, right?  Maybe it had the files open.

-Kirk

Offline djphillip

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 10:21:32 AM »
Kirk,

I'm running 10.6 and now get a spinning beach ball after ingesting disks as PM tries to format the disk and then unmount it. Eventually everything works but it  is taking much longer to perform the tasks using 10.6 verses 10.5....

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 11:05:52 AM »
David,

I'm running 10.6 and now get a spinning beach ball after ingesting disks as PM tries to format the disk and then unmount it. Eventually everything works but it  is taking much longer to perform the tasks using 10.6 verses 10.5....

Photo Mechanic does not format cards.  The most that it will do is delete all files that were ingested successfully.

As for the long unmount times, yes, we know about the issue, but there isn't much that we can do about it.  The OS provides the capability for applications to unmount disks and Photo Mechanic uses that capability.  For some reason that functionality provided by the OS takes about 10 seconds to complete.  In Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 it takes about a quarter of a second to complete.  Hopefully Apple will correct this issue in their first update to 10.6.

-Kirk