Author Topic: JPEG and RAW ingest workflow problem  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
JPEG and RAW ingest workflow problem
« on: September 02, 2009, 09:24:01 AM »
Hello,

I have a bit strange ingest problem, which might not be the problem of PM, but of my workflow...

Usually, I took RAW photos, only. But since a couple of days I changed my workflow a bit to speed up and shoot RAWs to card No.1 and a JPEG-copy is saved to card No.2, automatically.

On location I use PM to ingest the JPEG photos (smaller and faster then RAW), make a rename and assign an IPTC stationary pad (during the ingest). So far so good.

Later at home I will also ingest my RAW files. Unfortunatly, due to the renaming process during the ingest, PM does not recognize that the RAW files are aligned to the previously imported JPEGS.

So my questions are now: is their any way that PM will be able to understand that the RAW files that shall be imported are aligned to the JPEG files? Is PM able to remember the orignial filename before the rename process is started and bring the RAW and the JPEG file together again?

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: JPEG and RAW ingest workflow problem
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 09:48:35 AM »
Lars,

I have a bit strange ingest problem, which might not be the problem of PM, but of my workflow...

Usually, I took RAW photos, only. But since a couple of days I changed my workflow a bit to speed up and shoot RAWs to card No.1 and a JPEG-copy is saved to card No.2, automatically.

On location I use PM to ingest the JPEG photos (smaller and faster then RAW), make a rename and assign an IPTC stationary pad (during the ingest). So far so good.

Later at home I will also ingest my RAW files. Unfortunatly, due to the renaming process during the ingest, PM does not recognize that the RAW files are aligned to the previously imported JPEGS.

So my questions are now: is their any way that PM will be able to understand that the RAW files that shall be imported are aligned to the JPEG files? Is PM able to remember the orignial filename before the rename process is started and bring the RAW and the JPEG file together again?

PM does not record the original filenames in the file when they're renamed.  You could cause this to happen if you applied an IPTC Stationery Pad to the files as they were being ingested and use the {filename} variable in some field like 'Object Status'.

But since it is already too late for that on this batch of images, can't you just ingest the RAW card and use the same renaming strategy?  Then the two versions should just line up.

-Kirk