Author Topic: Issues....  (Read 6835 times)

Offline cdnpilot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Issues....
« on: September 21, 2009, 11:37:14 AM »
I am running the 4.6.1 on an XP Pro with 4 gig of memory and lots of free space. I am sorting about 10,000 pictures from a skating competition and moving them into folders for Customer orders. Sometimes when I select photos - e.g. 100 - and press control-y then next window pops up right away. The next time I try, it could take 30 seconds to respond. Also, it seems when I select a menu item nothing happens, but I can double click on a thumbnail and have it enlarge.

My guess would be something in the cache???

Trying to sort through these many photos with this delay is painful....

Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Issues....
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 12:21:52 PM »
Kevin,

I am running the 4.6.1 on an XP Pro with 4 gig of memory and lots of free space. I am sorting about 10,000 pictures from a skating competition and moving them into folders for Customer orders. Sometimes when I select photos - e.g. 100 - and press control-y then next window pops up right away. The next time I try, it could take 30 seconds to respond. Also, it seems when I select a menu item nothing happens, but I can double click on a thumbnail and have it enlarge.

My guess would be something in the cache???

Possibly.  What are your Caching settings in Photo Mechanic?

When you say you have 'lots of free space' do you mean free RAM, free hard disk space, or something else?

If the UI is non-responsive that indicates that the UI thread is busy or blocked waiting for something to complete.  Does the status bar at the bottom of the window indicate any operation is in progress?

What kind of files are you working with?

-Kirk

Offline cdnpilot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 12:56:05 PM »
Disk cache 512 mb; Reserve at least 100 MB; Memory cache 256 mb

There is 136 gig available on my 'c' drive, and these are running off a 1 TB data drive in the machine. I have checked the processes tab in task manager and PM is running on one CPU and taking 50% (would assume that is full on one CPU since there are two). The files are jpeg about 5 meg in size.

There is nothing to indicate that PM is doing anything - it appears to be hung. The disc light on the PC flashed intermittently - but not solid.

How much free ram? Not sure how to read that, but at bottom of task window is says 1268M/5463M....?

Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 01:24:39 PM »
Kevin,

Disk cache 512 mb; Reserve at least 100 MB; Memory cache 256 mb

There is 136 gig available on my 'c' drive, and these are running off a 1 TB data drive in the machine. I have checked the processes tab in task manager and PM is running on one CPU and taking 50% (would assume that is full on one CPU since there are two). The files are jpeg about 5 meg in size.

There is nothing to indicate that PM is doing anything - it appears to be hung. The disc light on the PC flashed intermittently - but not solid.

What operations are you having PM perform before it becomes unresponsive?

-Kirk

Offline cdnpilot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 06:31:05 PM »
I select a number of files - 50-100 and press control-y to copy.... PM is unresponsive for about 30 seconds then comes back with the next window....

What are the optimal settings for the cache?

Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 08:22:40 PM »
Kevin,

I select a number of files - 50-100 and press control-y to copy.... PM is unresponsive for about 30 seconds then comes back with the next window....

But what operation do you do before the problem occurs (before you start the Copy operation)?  Or can you just start PM up from scratch, open your contact sheet, select 100 files and then issue the Copy command and then the problem happens?

Quote from: cdnpilot
What are the optimal settings for the cache?

Given your system, I would set the Disk Cache to 1024MB, and the Memory Cache to 768MB.

-Kirk

Offline cdnpilot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 03:16:32 PM »
The operation that seemed to pause it was selecting 'copy' on a series of photos. The unresponsive menu items was when PM came back after copying the files. Double clicking on a picture would take the photo in preview mode - as normal. But clicking on a menu item (File, etc) the menu item would highlight - but the drop down menu would not happen. Then, after a period of time (maybe 20 seconds) the drop down menus would appear one after another like they were all cued up....

But - since changing the cached settings I cannot duplicate the problem. Perhaps it is fixed?

Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 03:33:31 PM »
Kevin,

The operation that seemed to pause it was selecting 'copy' on a series of photos. The unresponsive menu items was when PM came back after copying the files. Double clicking on a picture would take the photo in preview mode - as normal. But clicking on a menu item (File, etc) the menu item would highlight - but the drop down menu would not happen. Then, after a period of time (maybe 20 seconds) the drop down menus would appear one after another like they were all cued up....

But - since changing the cached settings I cannot duplicate the problem. Perhaps it is fixed?

I don't know.  Let me know if it comes back.

-Kirk