Author Topic: Snow Leapard upgrade - functionality missing in PM?  (Read 20782 times)

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
Snow Leapard upgrade - functionality missing in PM?
« on: September 07, 2009, 04:13:53 AM »
Hello Kirk - Trust you are well.

I am running version 4.6.1 on a MAC Pro with Snow Leopard.  Before updating to Snow Leopard (SL), I could use the RH click of the mouse when on a file to open PM.

After the install of SL this no longer is available.

I have reinstalled the software just in case SL removes this option.

Any ideas to restore functionality?  Thanks...Iain

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Snow Leapard upgrade - functionality missing in PM?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 05:43:19 AM »
By installing snow leopard, the install probably removed the PM plugin for the right click menu. This is NOT installed automatically with the installation of PM but has to be done separately. In the distribution dmg you will find the map "extras", in there you'll find the map "PM Contex Menu", open it and run the installer (Rosetta is probably required for the installer, the plugin itself is universal).

Hope this helps.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 06:00:36 AM »
Hi Hayo

Thanks for your reply.

I did this - but nothing happened although Rosetta did install....Iain

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 07:32:06 AM »
Hi Hayo

Thanks for your reply.

I did this - but nothing happened although Rosetta did install....Iain

Did the installer run?  If so, you need to restart your system for the plugin to be able to run.  Otherwise, you can install the plugin manually.  The ReadMe.txt file will tell you where to put it (actually it tells you how to remove it, but basically you place it in either of the two locations that it tells you where to remove it from.)

You'll also need to run the Finder as a 32-bit application since the contextual menu plugin is a 32-bit bundle.  By default the Finder in Snow Leopard should be in 32-bit if I'm not mistaken.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline rpmclaughlin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:48:48 AM »
This might be instructive for the PM developers. I've noticed through experimenting with PM 4.6.1 and OS10.6 (Snow Leopard) on both my MacBookPro and iMac, that there are a number of PM hangs, crashes and unusual behaviors that all go away when running PM in the OS10.6 64-bit kernel. For me it seems like the OS10.6 32-bit kernel and PM 4.6.1 don't get along.

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 03:13:55 PM »
OK - I did the manual remove and manual install - nothing happened.  No change at all.

As for running in a 32 bit bundle - sorry buy that is beyond my understanding of the MAC.

How can I check?.....Iain

Offline rpmclaughlin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 06:40:21 PM »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 08:28:31 PM »
Iain,

I am running version 4.6.1 on a MAC Pro with Snow Leopard.  Before updating to Snow Leopard (SL), I could use the RH click of the mouse when on a file to open PM.

After the install of SL this no longer is available.

I have reinstalled the software just in case SL removes this option.

Any ideas to restore functionality?

After investigation I have found that Snow Leopard no longer supports the contextual menu plugins at all.  Their functionality has now been replaced with "Services" which have been around for some time now, but weren't very popular.

I'll look into creating one of these for the 4.6.2 update.

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 11:08:46 PM »
Cool bananas Kirk - thanks...willow

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 12:30:58 AM »
Iain,

Cool bananas Kirk - thanks...willow

I've got one working now.  It's an Automator Service.  Just needs some polishing before I can hand it out, but it is working nicely on Mac OS X 10.6.

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 01:30:17 AM »
I'll wait - there is no hurry.  The right click feature just is a very convenient feature.   Iain

Offline David Alexander Photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 03:36:33 AM »
Hmmm, this is my first to this forum, so my brilliant Photo Mechanic  4.6.1 worked fine using Leopard....not a glitch until I put the the upgrade to Snow Leopard on my Macbook last week.
Now when I get in from my assignments, put the flash card in the card reader Photo Mechanic fires up but the ingest dialogue no longer opens up when the camera disc is mounted like it used to. I have to manually open the ingest dialogue... command G... then no discs are selected, this to was automatic before...  so I click on the camera disc which is listed to highlight and select it , then all is as normal. No crashes yet though. So some things are missing...will there be some fixes soon.

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »
I am surprised. No problem with the rigth clic, no more with ingest, mount and umount.
SnowLeopard 10.6 (all updates done) and PM 4.6.1. (iMac 2.16)

My only problem is screen capture and OpenOffice, it is for another forum !

Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 01:23:07 PM »
David,

Hmmm, this is my first to this forum, so my brilliant Photo Mechanic  4.6.1 worked fine using Leopard....not a glitch until I put the the upgrade to Snow Leopard on my Macbook last week.
Now when I get in from my assignments, put the flash card in the card reader Photo Mechanic fires up but the ingest dialogue no longer opens up when the camera disc is mounted like it used to. I have to manually open the ingest dialogue... command G... then no discs are selected, this to was automatic before...  so I click on the camera disc which is listed to highlight and select it , then all is as normal. No crashes yet though. So some things are missing...will there be some fixes soon.

Did you configure Image Capture to launch Photo Mechanic when a camera disk is inserted?  You can do this in the Launching tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Offline David Alexander Photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 02:47:11 PM »
Hi Kirk,
 thank you for your reply, yes I did configure Image Capture to launch Photo Mechanic when a camera disk is inserted , (under the preferences launching menu), but this failed to fix the problem. I went through every thing very carefully but still have this problem.

What I found was if Photo Mechanic is running and you put the card in the reader Ingest fires up with Camera in list high lighted ready for you to select where you want it to go. But if you want to put the card in the reader to launch Photo Mechanic and ingest pics the program starts but the Ingest doesn't fire up.. thus Command G etc... and the Camera disc in the list isn't (high lighted) selected. Definitely some thing odd there.

Initially I was thrilled to get back 17GB of hard drive with the new system.... now I'm nervous incase something goes wrong when filling for deadline for a news service. (Photo Mechanic is my most precious of all work tool.)  As you can gather I have never had a problem with it in the past and must have to do with the  OSX 10.6 upgrade.
This Macbook is an Intel duo core 2.1 MgHz 4 gig of Ram and has done well since I bought it last December.

Cheers,
David

cheers David