Author Topic: 64 bit version?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Eric

• View Profile
64 bit version?
« on: September 11, 2009, 12:08:13 PM »
So with the continuing move to 64bit and multi-processor platforms is there a 64 bit version of PM in the works?

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 64 bit version?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 03:37:13 PM »
So with the continuing move to 64bit and multi-processor platforms is there a 64 bit version of PM in the works?

Sure, not certain when that will be.  64-bit apps are all or nothing, meaning all parts of the application must be 64-bit (libraries, code resources, etc.) or you can't have a 64-bit application at all.  We're evaluating that now.

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 04:59:32 AM »
Kirk - any update on this?   I'm sure there has, but I must have missed it.
Ron

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 06:38:36 AM »
Ron,

Kirk - any update on this?   I'm sure there has, but I must have missed it.

PM 5.0 will not be a 64-bit application.

-Kirk

Offline taob

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 07:10:11 AM »
Eric and Ron,

Are there any particular benefits you see in PM going 64-bit?

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 07:22:37 AM »
I can't speak to PM specifically, but many applications can run much faster in 64 bit mode because they can avail themselves to much more system memory.   PM doesn't really have performance issues anywhere in my normal course of business, so for me, it's just a matter of curiosity.  I continue to be blown away by how much I can get done with Photomechanic vs the alternatives.

I suppose one area that might benefit would be when I open a contact sheet of 500 24mg files -- it takes PM a while to render the contact sheet, but it's not bad, and thats an extreme situation.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 07:56:30 AM »
Ron,

I can't speak to PM specifically, but many applications can run much faster in 64 bit mode because they can avail themselves to much more system memory.   PM doesn't really have performance issues anywhere in my normal course of business, so for me, it's just a matter of curiosity.  I continue to be blown away by how much I can get done with Photomechanic vs the alternatives.

I suppose one area that might benefit would be when I open a contact sheet of 500 24mg files -- it takes PM a while to render the contact sheet, but it's not bad, and thats an extreme situation.

It's on our road map.  We just can't do it now.

Your example case wouldn't speed up much at all by a move to 64-bits.  64-bit addressing is not a cure-all.  In some ways it can make things worse.  Apps can address over 4 GB of RAM individually and as such can cause virtual memory paging to occur much faster than 32-bit apps.

-Kirk