Author Topic: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 beta 2 comments  (Read 38693 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 beta 2 comments
« on: May 01, 2006, 08:25:41 PM »
Please post your comments about beta 2 on this thread.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline oryk

• View Profile
Re: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 beta 2 comments
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 10:05:54 PM »
Hello,

saved raw files as jpeg's lost all capture infos. Especially capture time.

Oryk
(MAC OS 10.4.6)
-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.13.6 )

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 10:32:42 PM »
saved raw files as jpeg's lost all capture infos. Especially capture time.
Oryk (MAC OS 10.4.6)

Hi Oryk.  We don't yet create a brand new Exif block for JPEG files saved from RAW conversion.  That is why your Exif info isn't present in the saved JPEG.  Previously we preserved the Exif block from the JPEG in the RAW+JPEG pair and so you would have this info in the saved-as JPEG.

We're working on this (similar to extracting JPEG preview from RAW).

Thanks!

--dennis

Offline AllanSchroeder

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 09:29:30 AM »
where is the link to download beta 2?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 09:30:11 AM »
where is the link to download beta 2?

See the announcements section.

-Kirk

Offline AllanSchroeder

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 09:37:12 AM »
On first glance, thanks for giving us preview options. It's nice to have the speed back.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 09:55:17 AM »
On first glance, thanks for giving us preview options. It's nice to have the speed back.

Great.  And you can toggle the setting dynamically for an individual photo by pressing the 'Q' or 'q' key.  So I just have it set to use the JPEG previews, and when I want to see the RAW version I just press Q to view it.  The toggle state is remembered for each photo until the contact sheet is closed.

-Kirk

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 05:42:45 AM »
Thanks, great to get the speed back... May Photo Mechanic never become slow at previewing images... It's what really bothers me about Lightroom and Aperture... Sorting, checking focus and deleting images on a G5 1.8 with 2GB RAM and lots of TB of SATA storage, should be as it is with Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 beta 2. FAST...

Offline Ted Grudzinski

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 01:55:32 PM »
I just switch this month from a Kodak DCS 620 and PhotoMechanic v2. (That's 7 years with the same digital camera.) Thanks for the free trail. It really showed me how far you have come with the software. I used to have to rename seperately, I like the able to save files in two different folders, always loved the way I could create thumbnails with both versiuons. You have a sale coming. Should I wait for the BETA period to end or will be able to upgrade without any penalities? I heard some comments regarding speed, I glad I didn't see the older version. It also works with files from y Fuji S3.

Will either of the version be able to convert Nikon's .NEF or Fuji's .RAW? I am only on page 9 of the instruction book, well written so far, maybe I'll find the answer myself.

Ted

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 02:19:33 PM »
I just switch this month from a Kodak DCS 620 and PhotoMechanic v2. (That's 7 years with the same digital camera.) Thanks for the free trail. It really showed me how far you have come with the software. I used to have to rename seperately, I like the able to save files in two different folders, always loved the way I could create thumbnails with both versiuons. You have a sale coming. Should I wait for the BETA period to end or will be able to upgrade without any penalities? I heard some comments regarding speed, I glad I didn't see the older version. It also works with files from y Fuji S3.

Will either of the version be able to convert Nikon's .NEF or Fuji's .RAW? I am only on page 9 of the instruction book, well written so far, maybe I'll find the answer myself.

When you purchase Photo Mechanic, you get a year's worth of free updates.
The 4.4.3 version running on Mac OS X 10.4.6 can convert NEF files with as shot settings.  Fuji RAF files are not yet supported by Apple, but when they add the support (I should say 'if' they add the support) for Fuji RAF files, then we will enable it in a future version of Photo Mechanic.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline oryk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 01:40:14 AM »
Hello,

if I ingest files with option

- <Never open contact sheet> or <Open contact sheet during ingest> the finish-info is in the foreground. So I can close the info with spacebar.

- <Open contact sheet after ingest> the finish-info is in forground as well. But I can not close the info spacebar. I have to use the trackpad.

I think the easiest way to run PM in the field is to use the trackpad as less as possible. I have to "right"-handle my laptop, while holding on my monopd with my left hand.

Oryk
(MAC OS X)

-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.13.6 )

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 06:24:15 AM »
Hello,

if I ingest files with option

- <Never open contact sheet> or <Open contact sheet during ingest> the finish-info is in the foreground. So I can close the info with spacebar.

- <Open contact sheet after ingest> the finish-info is in forground as well. But I can not close the info spacebar. I have to use the trackpad.

I think the easiest way to run PM in the field is to use the trackpad as less as possible. I have to "right"-handle my laptop, while holding on my monopd with my left hand.

There isn't really anything I can do about that.  Once the contact sheet window is opened, it becomes the active window, and while the Ingest Progress window looks like it is active (it is a "utility" window) it no longer has focus because the Contact Sheet window has focus.

Sorry,

-Kirk

Offline oryk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 12:11:22 PM »
Ok. Thanks for your prompt answer.

-Oryk
-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.13.6 )

Offline salobaas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 03:07:19 PM »
Hi Kirk,

two issues, on Mac OS X 10.4.6 Intel:

1) in file browser pane double click on a folder
    in file browser pane, right click and select new folder inside folder we just double clicked
    name new folder
    select all images in current contact sheet (cmd-a)
    move all selected images (121 D2X NEF's) into new folder (this new folder is inside the folder
    containing the selected image)
    this result in an endless spinning ball

2) I selected the preference option to safe tag and color label in xmp/iptc of all files
    I color labeled a bunch of pictures purple
    I opened the same folder in iView Media Pro 3.1b10 but no labels were selected
    I opened the same folder in Bridge (CS2) but no labels were selected
    what am I doing wrong?

Cheers, Fons.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 04:44:03 PM »
  two issues, on Mac OS X 10.4.6 Intel:

1) in file browser pane double click on a folder
    in file browser pane, right click and select new folder inside folder we just double clicked
    name new folder
    select all images in current contact sheet (cmd-a)
    move all selected images (121 D2X NEF's) into new folder (this new folder is inside the folder
    containing the selected image)
    this result in an endless spinning ball

We're looking into this.

Quote from: salobaas
2) I selected the preference option to safe tag and color label in xmp/iptc of all files
    I color labeled a bunch of pictures purple
    I opened the same folder in iView Media Pro 3.1b10 but no labels were selected
    I opened the same folder in Bridge (CS2) but no labels were selected
    what am I doing wrong?

Nothing.  That is not its function.  It does not enable cross-application functionality.  What it does is makes sure that if you open up a JPEG that has been color classed, and tagged that if you resave the file in Photoshop (or other apps) that when you come back to Photo Mechanic the file will retain its tag and color class.

The interoperability you desire would have to be added to a future version.

-Kirk