Author Topic: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 beta 2 comments  (Read 38699 times)

Offline salobaas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 beta 2 comments
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 01:59:04 AM »
Quote from: salobaas
2) I selected the preference option to safe tag and color label in xmp/iptc of all files
    I color labeled a bunch of pictures purple
    I opened the same folder in iView Media Pro 3.1b10 but no labels were selected
    I opened the same folder in Bridge (CS2) but no labels were selected
    what am I doing wrong?

Nothing.  That is not its function.  It does not enable cross-application functionality.  What it does is makes sure that if you open up a JPEG that has been color classed, and tagged that if you resave the file in Photoshop (or other apps) that when you come back to Photo Mechanic the file will retain its tag and color class.

The interoperability you desire would have to be added to a future version.

-Kirk

This is the one single major issue the stand alone tool providers should try to solve, in my case PM -> Bibble -> iView. I want to tag and color select in PM, raw process the selected photos in Bibble and catalog them in iView. This capability becomes more important with the arrival of complete solutions like Aperture and Lightroom. How about you guys sit together and try to fix this?

Cheers, Fons.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 06:17:37 AM »
Quote from: salobaas
2) I selected the preference option to safe tag and color label in xmp/iptc of all files
    I color labeled a bunch of pictures purple
    I opened the same folder in iView Media Pro 3.1b10 but no labels were selected
    I opened the same folder in Bridge (CS2) but no labels were selected
    what am I doing wrong?

Nothing.  That is not its function.  It does not enable cross-application functionality.  What it does is makes sure that if you open up a JPEG that has been color classed, and tagged that if you resave the file in Photoshop (or other apps) that when you come back to Photo Mechanic the file will retain its tag and color class.

The interoperability you desire would have to be added to a future version.

This is the one single major issue the stand alone tool providers should try to solve, in my case PM -> Bibble -> iView. I want to tag and color select in PM, raw process the selected photos in Bibble and catalog them in iView. This capability becomes more important with the arrival of complete solutions like Aperture and Lightroom. How about you guys sit together and try to fix this?

It isn't necessarily all that easy to do.  Do you know for instance that Bibble preserves IPTC/XMP data when it processes a RAW file into a TIF, PSD, or JPEG?

Does iView pickup its "labels" via IPTC or XMP data or does it use some other method?  I do know that Bridge uses XMP fields for its ratings system and we could cooperate there once we have a ratings system.

-Kirk

Offline salobaas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2006, 02:02:11 AM »
It isn't necessarily all that easy to do.  Do you know for instance that Bibble preserves IPTC/XMP data when it processes a RAW file into a TIF, PSD, or JPEG?

Does iView pickup its "labels" via IPTC or XMP data or does it use some other method?  I do know that Bridge uses XMP fields for its ratings system and we could cooperate there once we have a ratings system.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

that is exactly why I propose you guys sit down together to discuss interopability issues. It looks like you focus on different enough niches (PM, Bibble, RawShooter, iView) to not to be direct competitors, so reaching some agreement should be possible.

Cheers, Fons.

PS: Bridge is the least of my worries. PM is ten times faster so why would I use Bridge?

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 11:34:21 AM »
The {folder} variable does not work in the CD Burning disc naming string.  However "{folder}" does not appear in the Disc Name preview line, so I guess it is recognising it as a variable, just not evaluating it properly.  Is this a bug or a feature?

(4.4.3  beta 2 on OS X 10.4.6)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 12:30:41 PM »
The {folder} variable does not work in the CD Burning disc naming string.  However "{folder}" does not appear in the Disc Name preview line, so I guess it is recognising it as a variable, just not evaluating it properly.  Is this a bug or a feature?

About the only variable that is going to work is the {seqn} variable.  Disc names are fairly limited, and the {folder} variable in particular has limited usability because you could easily (and I often do) have multiple folders in a single contact sheet and then which folder name should {folder} evaluate to?

-Kirk

Offline 3sight

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 12:57:36 PM »
Just tried out the Beta, I have to say I love it.  I tested out the upload to Photo Shelter, worked very nicely.  Two things though.  The rotate feature did not work, the photo was shot vertial (Canon Mark II), PM showed it as vertical, I uploaded to Photo Shelter, the image in my gallery was horizontal, easy enough to fix, but would be nice if I didn't have to go through this step. Second, I'm not sure if it where possible, but it would be nice to be able to add a new Archive folder directly from PM instead of only being able to choose from a current folder.

Thanks, great work, Bryan

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 01:20:38 PM »

About the only variable that is going to work is the {seqn} variable.  Disc names are fairly limited, and the {folder} variable in particular has limited usability because you could easily (and I often do) have multiple folders in a single contact sheet and then which folder name should {folder} evaluate to?

-Kirk

I would say that the title of the current contact sheet would be best.  As you say, many people will have multiple folders open in one contact sheet so I see entirely how the folder variable would be of limited use in those circumstances.  However, if you have only one folder open then the contact sheet's window title will tally exactly with the folder you are viewing so would be useful in the disc title too.  Maybe a new variable that uses the window title could be used?

Does that make sense?

Sam.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 09:50:22 PM »
  two issues, on Mac OS X 10.4.6 Intel:

1) in file browser pane double click on a folder
    in file browser pane, right click and select new folder inside folder we just double clicked
    name new folder
    select all images in current contact sheet (cmd-a)
    move all selected images (121 D2X NEF's) into new folder (this new folder is inside the folder
    containing the selected image)
    this result in an endless spinning ball

This has now been fixed.  I added a progress dialog for the drag and drop copy/move, and I added code to move files when possible which is way faster than copying and then deleting files after the copy completes.

The fix will appear in the final 4.4.3 version.

Thanks for the info,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 10:51:40 PM »
Just tried out the Beta, I have to say I love it.  I tested out the upload to Photo Shelter, worked very nicely.  Two things though.  The rotate feature did not work, the photo was shot vertial (Canon Mark II), PM showed it as vertical, I uploaded to Photo Shelter, the image in my gallery was horizontal, easy enough to fix, but would be nice if I didn't have to go through this step.

We'll look into this and see what we can do.

Quote from: 3sight
Second, I'm not sure if it where possible, but it would be nice to be able to add a new Archive folder directly from PM instead of only being able to choose from a current folder.

You can type right into the Archive combo box and if the Archive does not yet exist, it will be created.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 06:54:01 AM »
I tested out the upload to Photo Shelter, worked very nicely. The rotate feature did not work, the photo was shot vertial (Canon Mark II), PM showed it as vertical, I uploaded to Photo Shelter, the image in my gallery was horizontal, easy enough to fix, but would be nice if I didn't have to go through this step.

We looked at our code and found nothing wrong with it.  The PhotoShelter people are working on a fix on their end.  We were waiting on a fix for this before we released 4.4.3, but when we determined it wasn't a bug in PM we went ahead with the release.

-Kirk