Author Topic: Problems with preview film strip  (Read 3132 times)

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
Problems with preview film strip
« on: October 20, 2009, 07:44:18 PM »
I am running 4.6.1 on 64-bit Vista and I've noticed some odd behavior from the film strip at the bottom of the preview window.  There is no scroll bar on the film strip, even though the current contact sheet has many pictures in it.  Also, if I click or double click on a picture in the film strip, nothing happens.  So, I can't navigate at all using the filmstrip.  Also,  I have the preference selected to auto-center thumbnails, but as I move through the pictures in the preview window, the selection showing the displayed image just slides across the film strip, and when it reaches the edge of the screen, it keeps going without moving the film strip.

The film strip used to work correctly, and I'm not quite sure when it started misbehaving or what might have happened to cause it.  As it is right now, it has become fairly useless.  Let me know what I can do to help debug this problem.

Thanks,
Danny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problems with preview film strip
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:20:24 PM »
Danny,

I am running 4.6.1 on 64-bit Vista and I've noticed some odd behavior from the film strip at the bottom of the preview window.  There is no scroll bar on the film strip, even though the current contact sheet has many pictures in it.  Also, if I click or double click on a picture in the film strip, nothing happens.  So, I can't navigate at all using the filmstrip.  Also,  I have the preference selected to auto-center thumbnails, but as I move through the pictures in the preview window, the selection showing the displayed image just slides across the film strip, and when it reaches the edge of the screen, it keeps going without moving the film strip.

The film strip used to work correctly, and I'm not quite sure when it started misbehaving or what might have happened to cause it.  As it is right now, it has become fairly useless.  Let me know what I can do to help debug this problem.

Please post a JPEG screen shot.

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 06:54:21 PM »
Well... I was experiencing this problem every single time I used the preview last night and over the last several days.  Tonight, I recreated it the first time I tried it.  I loaded a screen capture program (Mezer tools).  Before doing the capture, I tried to resize the preview window so I could get the whole thing with a smaller capture.  Something sort of strange happened.  All I did was try to grab and drag the top right corner of the frame, and it was as if a second preview window appeared.  I closed both of them and now when I reopen the preview it is working normally again.  I even closed and restarted PM and everything is still working fine.  Is it possible that some instance of the preview dialog was stuck in some sort of hidden state causing problems with the visible instance?  Even if that's the case, closing and restarting PM should have fixed it.  PM is only running a single process, right?  Are there any system wide resources related to the preview window that might have somehow been locked from a previous glitch?

I'll keep an eye out for it to happen again, and if it does, I'll grab a screen shot.  The only visible difference when it was malfunctioning was that the scroll bar under the film strip was completely missing.  The space it occupied was still there, but it was just the same gray background that is used for the preview background and the unselected portion of the filmstrip.  As I described earlier, clicking on any of the thumbnails had no effect.  You could navigate through all the pictures in the preview with the arrow keys, but the film strip was locked in position and the selection indicator moved right off the edge of the screen until I wrapped back to the beginning of the whole contact sheet.

Danny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 06:58:34 PM »
Danny,

Well... I was experiencing this problem every single time I used the preview last night and over the last several days.  Tonight, I recreated it the first time I tried it.  I loaded a screen capture program (Mezer tools).  Before doing the capture, I tried to resize the preview window so I could get the whole thing with a smaller capture.  Something sort of strange happened.  All I did was try to grab and drag the top right corner of the frame, and it was as if a second preview window appeared.  I closed both of them and now when I reopen the preview it is working normally again.  I even closed and restarted PM and everything is still working fine.  Is it possible that some instance of the preview dialog was stuck in some sort of hidden state causing problems with the visible instance?  Even if that's the case, closing and restarting PM should have fixed it.  PM is only running a single process, right?  Are there any system wide resources related to the preview window that might have somehow been locked from a previous glitch?

I'll keep an eye out for it to happen again, and if it does, I'll grab a screen shot.  The only visible difference when it was malfunctioning was that the scroll bar under the film strip was completely missing.  The space it occupied was still there, but it was just the same gray background that is used for the preview background and the unselected portion of the filmstrip.  As I described earlier, clicking on any of the thumbnails had no effect.  You could navigate through all the pictures in the preview with the arrow keys, but the film strip was locked in position and the selection indicator moved right off the edge of the screen until I wrapped back to the beginning of the whole contact sheet.

I really have no idea.  If you can give me a set of steps to reproduce the problem then I'll be happy to fix it.

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 07:36:52 AM »
I understand.  I don't know how I got PM into that state, and I don't understand what I did to get it out of that state.  I'll watch for it to happen again.  If it doesn't, that's as good as getting it fixed.

Danny