Author Topic: IPTC Snapshot > Paste loses Creation Date from source image  (Read 2539 times)

Offline DaveTheC

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC Snapshot > Paste loses Creation Date from source image
« on: September 15, 2009, 10:08:39 AM »
I am using a PM demo 4.6.1 on Windows XP SP3 and so far am very impressed. I am having one small problem with dates that I cannot find discussed elsewhere.

I am scanning old family pictures on a flatbed scanner using VueScan. I have Vuescan write two files, a "raw" TIFF and a jpg version of each image. Each image is named the same, e.g. N000200.tiff and N000200.jpg.

I use the i button on the contact sheet to edit the IPTC metadata. I change the Time and Date, combo set to "Date", set the date to 1/1/1960 to indicate sometime in 1960, and leave the time alone - don't care.

I click OK.

I right-click the image I modified, choose "IPTC Snapshot > Take"

I left click on the sibling image. I thought my problem was from not selecting the target image before a paste, but that does not seem to work.

I right click the target image, and click "IPTC Snapshot > Paste > (Caption)" In some cases there are multiples, but I just tried it with a brand new image.

Now I click the i button, and all fields are loaded, except the date and time are now the scanning time. I would assume that a paste would paste *everything*.  There is no EXIF info in the TIF file. There is this:  "Date/Time Digitised      : 2009:09:14 21:08:01" in the jpg only.

The order of copying does not seem to make a difference; from jpg to tif, or vice versa. In each case it forgets the source date, and leaves the target unchanged.

This is forcing me to reopen the image and change the date manually.  Annoying, but a workaround.

Am I missing a configuration option, or is this a defect?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Snapshot > Paste loses Creation Date from source image
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:53:32 AM »
I am using a PM demo 4.6.1 on Windows XP SP3 and so far am very impressed. I am having one small problem with dates that I cannot find discussed elsewhere.

I am scanning old family pictures on a flatbed scanner using VueScan. I have Vuescan write two files, a "raw" TIFF and a jpg version of each image. Each image is named the same, e.g. N000200.tiff and N000200.jpg.

I use the i button on the contact sheet to edit the IPTC metadata. I change the Time and Date, combo set to "Date", set the date to 1/1/1960 to indicate sometime in 1960, and leave the time alone - don't care.

I click OK.

I right-click the image I modified, choose "IPTC Snapshot > Take"

I left click on the sibling image. I thought my problem was from not selecting the target image before a paste, but that does not seem to work.

I right click the target image, and click "IPTC Snapshot > Paste > (Caption)" In some cases there are multiples, but I just tried it with a brand new image.

Now I click the i button, and all fields are loaded, except the date and time are now the scanning time. I would assume that a paste would paste *everything*.  There is no EXIF info in the TIF file. There is this:  "Date/Time Digitised      : 2009:09:14 21:08:01" in the jpg only.

The order of copying does not seem to make a difference; from jpg to tif, or vice versa. In each case it forgets the source date, and leaves the target unchanged.

This is forcing me to reopen the image and change the date manually.  Annoying, but a workaround.

Am I missing a configuration option, or is this a defect?

IPTC Snapshots do not include date and time information.  This is for protection of the date and time of the other images you might paste onto.

Instead, try using the Adjust Capture Dates and Times command on the Tools menu.  You can adjust the times in bulk there.

HTH,

-Kirk